Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Womans Heart Close To Nature

A very cute, quite small, and previously unnoticed ceramic turtle resting on a mossy-log in the yard.....
I accidentally left my camera at home today, so did not have a chance to take pictures of the morning-long and unexpected heavy snowfall in downtown Juneau (that was mostly gone by late afternoon), nor the short-term sunshine that greeted me once I got to Auke Bay on the way home from work this afternoon. 
So, instead, I took some pictures of spring-growing-things in my yard. 
Some interesting "yard art"
Another interesting sight in my yard that I did not notice until today - devils' club growing through the hole in a buoy
The huge pine trees that sit right up against the house.  There are many very tall pines surrounding the house, and when it is very windy these trees take up the entire sky with their swaying
I LOVE this house.  It feels like I am living in a tree house.  The big windchimes sound beautiful when it is windy, and their music calms me.  There are no curtains on any of the windows - there doesn't need to be.  When I look out of any of the windows and skylights all I see are trees.
Pussywillows and pine trees. 
This morning I was driving to work around Mile 19 or so, lost in thought, listening to music, every once in a while catching a glimpse of the mountains and the water to my right.
Something on the hill - about half way between the tree line and the road - caught my attention and I looked over just as I was right on top of it.  It was small, and a combination of black and brown.  At first I thought it was a small deer, then realized that it was a wolf.  And then I was already by it.
In hindsight I am not really sure what it was.  I don't think it was a dog.  It was fairly small - a young wolf?  A coyote??  It was quite small and it was alone......
It is definately spring.  I see eagles all the time now - in trees, coasting on the winds, fighting over a fish pulled from the channel..........
Ravens, seagulls, eagles, maybe the song of a whale this past weekend, maybe a wolf...........a season of discovery.

Man's heart away from nature becomes hard. ~ Standing Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment