Friday, April 9, 2010

Security From On High

Today was Friday - payday - sunny.  The dreaded trifecta when it comes to productive work in Juneau Alaska.  By mid-afternoon I found legitimate and actual work-related reasons to be outside, out and on the road.
I took pictures from many places in and around the Juneau area in my travels between various work related destinations. 
The day was cold all day, but started out partially cloudy and partially sunny, and ended perfectly and absolutely sunny.  The forecast promises more sunshine for the next few days.  Tomorrow will be a wonderful day I think to ride my bike.
Signs are everywhere that Juneau is now gearing up for the upcoming cruise ship season.  The first ships are expected to arrive at the end of this month, and more to come beginning in May.  Today, on this beautiful Friday afternoon I saw helicoptors prepping for their continuous tourist trips out to the glacier, stores that have been closed all winter cleaning house, food vendors beginning to pop up on street corners like dandelions in the south, whale viewing boats in the channel waiting for the masses to arrive, and 20,000 seedlings in a greenhouse that will be planted throughout the city in just about a month.
It is late and I am too tired to post much tonight. More pictures this weekend of such places as Thane beaches, a salmon hatchery, a volunteer group working at a creative play park, and an extraordinarily beautiful and comfortable eagle perched on a pole.
In the meantime some pictures of Juneau downtown.
I had to post this guy.
I saw him perched on a post on a bridge near the salmon hatchery.  I began snapping pictures while I was still a long way from him because I assumed that as I walked tentatively closer to him, he would take flight and be gone.  He didn't do that.  I walked closer......and closer.....and closer still, continually snapping pictures, and he was very aware of the fact that I was right beside him - 20 feet below him.  But he stayed put, comfortably enjoying the sunshine from his elevated vantage point.  He was beautiful.  And big.  And secure enough in his position to choose to ignore my presence.  My favorite picture from today.

1 comment:

  1. The pictures of the town with the mountains behind it are great, but that picture of the eagle is awesome........that's one of the best pictures of an eagle I have ever seen......I don't think I have ever heard of an eagle in the wild letting someone get that close.

    fantastic post Doll.
    I love you,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete