Saturday, April 10, 2010

Eagle Beach

Yesterday started out as a combination of sun and clouds.  It turned into an outstanding Friday, but both the day and forecast foretold of an even lovelier day today.  I woke up this morning, walked into the livingroom and the entire room was bathed in sunlight.  The pine trees through the widows looked like they were glistening, but they were actually just shining from the sun.  There was not a cloud in the sky.
I quickly drank coffee, skipped breakfast, got dressed in cold weather biking clothes (because even though it was sunny, the temperature was just a couple of degrees above freezing), threw a sandwich and a few other food items into my pack, and rushed outside to grab my bike and experience the freedom of the most outstanding and beautiful day.  I was so pleased, and so happy to have this gift of a day.  And so pleased and happy to have the opportunity to have a day free to explore as I wished.
The picture (above) was taken at the overview just a few miles from my house.
I decided to bike Out the Road to Eagle Beach.  I had not been there before, but had driven past it when I had gone to the end of the road a couple of weeks ago, and had vowed to visit it again by bike on a lovely day.  Today was that day.  It wasn't a long ride - about 9 miles or so each way.  I had left the house fairly early, but surprisingly did not run into a lot of vehicle traffic.  There were a few cars, and as usual, a whole lot of trucks travelling in both directions due to the road construction going on further out.
As usual, I was excited upon my arrival - I am never quite sure what to expect.  What's here?  Are there mountain views?  Trails?  A lake?  River?  The ocean? 
This is what I found.  I was speechless.  How do you put words to this?  I can't......
I rode by bike along a wanna-be trail for just a few minutes before it became too rocky and sandy.  So I dropped my bike, took off my helmet and went for a walk through the field, and closer to the ocean proper.
The beach was sandy, and windy enough that it was very cold walking along the shore.  I kept moving, trying to stave off the cold, admiring the mountain views, watching the ducks and seagulls and Canadian geese, petting a few friendly dogs that were starting to appear on the beach with their owners.
I have no idea what this space-age looking contraption is.  It stood silent and unattended at the top of a small hill.  It did not have any labels or other indications as to either its' owner or its' purpose.  There are a few NOAA stations in the area, and if I had to guess, I would think it might be owned by them.
After heading back to pick up my bike, I rode along a quiet and paved footpath to see what was in the back section of the beach.  Picnic tables, camp sites (no campers yet), fire pits and bar-b-que grills. 
After biking for a few minutes I came to a dirt trail, and for the first time took my borrowed mountain bike off trail.  It felt good, and I was suddenly reminded as to how much I miss riding on trails.  Regardless, today I came to a rocky and sandy area, with lots of old and water/weather worn downed trees.  There was a small stream.  More ducks.  More geese.  Lots of quiet.  Less wind.
A picture taken on the way home.  Glacier Highway once you get to Auke Bay and beyond, heading Out the Road is a beautiful drive - pulloffs to enjoy views, mountains, the channel, pine trees, very little traffic.  There are many people at work who are amazed that I "commute" so far to work every day.  I love the drive.  I love every minute of it.  And even in the short time I have lived "Out the Road" have seen some wonderful things that I may not have had the opportunity to see if I lived closer to town.
I wouldn't have it any other way.........
Taken at a different overlook, close to the Shrine of St Therese
The mile before I got home, taken on the road that I live on.  The city recently added more dirt and gravel to the road - great for filling in potholes, but makes biking MUCH more challenging.
I arrived in Juneau 3 months ago yesterday.
Someday a mountain
© Kaerlek Janislampi
i'm going to be a mountain someday
and just stand all the time
stalwart and mighty
collecting crystal s from heaven
and dispersing them ever so gently
kindly and impartially
to thirsty fields below
i will rise to alpine stature
i will be a mountain
firm and ever a humble beacon
a lofty rising peak
that calls to the brave and strong
urging all yearnings
to look up
to arise
and stop determined storms
and be a rocky sanctuary
more than a point of reference
above the din of banality
and hostile indifference
loving in the purity
the nearness to God
crowned in white that holds all color
fed by the groanings of the earth
standing, always standing
yes, i'm going to be a mountain
someday
for this
i rise up

3 comments:

  1. Outstanding pictures Doll. Say did ya notice that "HUGE" bear in the edge of the woods in one of those pictures????........didn't think so. lol

    I love ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Saturday in Juneau...looks like Sunday is about the same

    Good blog post and pictures...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to everyone who reads these blog posts. I am loving finding all these great places in Juneau, taking pictures and sharing them with those who might read this site.

    I love the fact that my Mountain Boy, my son in TN, my son in Iraq, some friends in TN, my sister in Australia, and who knows who else.... reads along.

    Thanks for reading. Thanks for posting a comment. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete