Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Heart Soars

I have passed by the Sealaska building downtown many times since I arrived in Juneau
and for the first time today noticed through the windows of the building that the lobby contained a number of very beautiful pieces of native Alaskan artwork.  These are some examples that I took pictures of before heading back to my car......
Outside their office were some planters containing many signs of spring in Alaska.  It is very exciting to see natural things that are beginning to grow again after months of being dormant.  From my perspective, I first came to Juneau for a few days in November, and then moved here in early January.  My entire experience in Alaska has been (to this point) short days, trees without leaves, rain and snow and ice and cold temperatures.  I have had many tastes of what this place is like when it is sunny and warm.  There have been hints of spring for months.  But only hints.  And now.......finally.........the weather is warmer, the days are getting much longer, flowers are growing, leaves are appearing on bare trees.  I am loving it.  Very much.
Now all it needs to do is stop raining.........just for a couple of days...........
The beauty of the trees,
the softness of the air,
the fragrance of the grass,
speaks to me.
The summit of the mountain,
the thunder of the sky,
the rhythm of the sea,
speaks to me.
The faintness of the stars,
the freshness of the morning,
the dew drop on the flower,
speaks to me.
The strength of fire,
the taste of salmon,
the trail of the sun,
and the life that never goes away,
They speak to me.
And my heart soars.
Chief Dan George

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty art work. I especially like the carving of the eagle on the bow of the canoe.

    I'm glad you quoted Chief Dan George. He was a fascinating person, and one of my favorite actors. he had a very interesting life.

    Another excellent post Doll. I love you,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete