Monday, April 26, 2010

Today

There is no longer any doubt - spring is here.  Today it was 61 degrees in Juneau.
Today, while driving to work I saw the same two young deer alongside the highway that I saw the other day.  I sincerely hope that they remain healthy and uninjured.  I wish I had not seen them again so close to the road.....
Today I saw my first hummingbird - in my yard and humming around a pussywillow tree that sits close to the porch.
Today there was an article in the Juneau Empire about bears coming out of hibernation:
And today I took pictures of nature in miniature - flowers growing in the very small gardens that are so prevalent to the homes located in downtown Juneau. 
A small taste of nature surrounded in all directions by an endless series of mountains and waterways and trails.
I love this garden gnome and had to share it.
In middle Tennessee it is very common to find gnomes either sitting on a log or on the ground at mountain bike trail heads.  Trail gnomes are said to bring both good luck and safe riding while out on the trails.
My favorite mountain bike and running trails were located only ten minutes from my home - an expansive and complicated series of trails where it was easy to wander for miles and for hours, often without running into another soul.  I knew every inch of every trail.
I loved the variety and I loved the isolation that these trails brought, as compared to other more used trails that were located closer to either Nashville or Chattanooga.
The trail system did not have a gnome.  So one day, while visiting a chain hardware store I bought one and laid it on the ground at the trailhead. 
Happily it was still there when I left Tennessee.  Every time I passed by him I smiled, and I hoped that other riders and runners did too.  I would like to think that he is still there watching over visitors on the trails..........
Today I stopped at my favorite second hand store and bought a pewter plate for a dollar.  I have been collecting pewter for many years, and have a large collection.  I love the look of these pieces, the feel of them, the color of them.  I am looking forward to having my collection with me in Alaska one day soon.

Today I stopped at a gun store and (finally) picked up the 44 Ruger that my Mountain Boy sent up to me.  I got it out, and also picked up a holster, ear protection, ammunition for "plinking" (to use the the gun store owners' descriptive word), and ammunition for bear protection. 
I have shot this specific firearm before while down in Tennesse (and under the experienced and watchful eye of my retired-cop Mountain Boy). 
So now time to take it to the range and gain enough confidence without him, to be able to carry it when I wander onto trails alone.  I won't carry it with me until that time.
My 454 Casull is still on lay-a-way.  When I told my Air Force son what I had bought his response was to say doubtfully "that's a big gun mom".  I told him "yes I know Babe - I was there when I bought it".  He doesn't know that I have also fired a 454 while down in Tennessee.
Shake your head and laugh child......you're talking to your momma, remember??  :-)  Very fun to give my son a hard time now that he is back in the United States.......it felt very good.

Today I stopped on the way home to take a quick picture of a small ferry in port at the ferry terminal - Alaska Marine Highway ferry Leconte based out of Petersburg.

2 comments:

  1. You found some beautiful flowers Doll, I love 'em.
    I'm glad ya finally have the 44 mag with ya, and I can't wait to see your 454, I love that caliber.......although, the 480 Ruger is my favorite.
    I will checked today to see if your trail gnome is still standing guard out at the trails......I'll let ya know.

    I Love Ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doll, I am happy to report your trail gnome is still there. He's kicked back against a toadstool greeting everyone with a big smile. lol

    I Love Ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete