Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mendenhall Glacier on a Spring Day

Today was my fourth trip to Mendenhall Glacier.  The first time I saw this place was in November. I was up here for an intensive two-day interview process, and in between interviews had asked a real estate agent to show me a couple of homes that I had seen online.  After seeing the homes she brought me to the glacier, and I was speechless.  I had never seen such a sight.
It was cold, windy, drizzling and no-one but us was there.  This was the first time I had seen eagles in the wild (she told me to "look for the cottonballs in the trees").
The second time I visited, was within an hour of my landing in Juneau on January 9.  That day was cold, cloudy and icy.  Again there was no-one else around but me and my short-term room-mate.  January 9 was also my introduction to Yak Traxx, which have gotten me through quite a few icy situations on trails over these past months.  Worth their weight in gold.
My third trip to the glacier my room-mate and I hiked some of the back trails up into the surrounding mountains.  It was her idea, and yet she whined, complained and swore the entire trip.  I did not enjoy it, and after our hike was done I asked her to drop me off at Auke Bay Harbor so I could walk in peace, enjoy the sunshine, take beautiful boat pictures, and enjoy some quiet time. 
While we hiked those trails we did not run into another person out there, but there were many people enjoying the cold sunshine that day out on the ice - some riding mountain bikes, some playing hockey, many people simply walking their dogs. 
Alaska dogs in my three months of experience here are big, hardy, running, joyful, happy and friendly dogs.  I have met many who were running ahead of their owners, and have yet to be scared by a vicious or dangerous dog.
Today was another beautiful, cloudless, sunny spring day in Juneau, with temperatures close to 50 degrees.  There were many people at the glacier when I first arrived, and yes, indeed spring is just around the corner.
When I lived in Tennessee I used to go trail running and mountain biking out on a series of trails out at an air force base, that was only 10 minutes from my house.  In all the years I trained out there I never once got bored with the place.  I loved it out there. 
But I have to say that my very favorite time to be out there on those trails was when the weather was horrible - windy, cold, freezing rain, in the middle of winter.  Because I was the only local person who would ever dare train in such crap.  And I would be running out there feeling completely free......knowing that there was not another soul out there........and that I had the place totally to myself.
Mendenhall Glacier is a stunningly beautiful place. 
And yes (true to form), I think I love it the most when it is cold, rainy, icy.  And when I don't have to share it (or my need for privacy), with anyone else.
The Visitor Center - lots of interactive videos and displays to better describe to visitors what they are looking at, while viewing the glacier from the massive windows
There are pictures in the Visitor Center showing what the glacier looked like 50 years ago, 80 years ago, and even further back.  It is astounding how much (and how quickly) the glacier has receded since those times
The lake is still partially frozen, but is a popular kayaking spot during the warmer months
There are trails and walkways throughout the area.  Demanding trails that head into back country up in the mountains surrounding the glacier.  Paved trails that provide a closer look at the glacier.  More short paved trails, dirt trails, and bridge walkways that provide opportunities for bear watching, nature walks etc.
Trails for people of all ages and fitness levels, to give everyone who visits an opportunity to experience this park.
One of the extended bridge walkways over a salmon stream.  Bear sightings in spring and summer from this bridge are very common.
Main entrance to Mendenhall Glacier
There are signs similar to this one throughout the main tourist areas - the easy trails located close to the parking lots, in the the visitor center etc.  Common themes for the signs are detailed information about the glacier, plant life, black bears, and salmon
Me standing on a bridge looking down into the salmon stream.  The real estate agent who brought me to this place for the first time in November told me that there is one adult bear who brings her new cubs to this stream every spring, to teach them how to fish.  The agent has seen the same bear every spring for the last 3 or 4 years.
When the winds are calm, there are many opportunities for pictures such as this one.  Pine trees and mountains reflecting in the lakes big and small make for very beautiful pictures

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, magical, enchanting.
    I love ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly finding all the neat places around Juneau.

    You already know this I suspect...if you haven't already, your gonna be standing along the shore somewhere looking out there wishing ya had a boat for exploring.

    Thats one of the reasons I've spend spring-summer-falls in Alaska since 1990, exploring from Haines to Glacier Bay, around and up the coast to Yakatut, to Ketchikan and Prince of Wales Island, its endless and exciting !

    Very nice blog post as usual.... your getting pretty good at this

    ReplyDelete