Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sunny Pictures On A Rainy Day

The weather alternated all day today between drizzle and pouring rain.  A grey and foggy day, with clouds lying so low I almost felt like I could reach up and touch them.
I decided on the way home tonight that I would post sunny pictures.  Pictures that I have taken in my travels over these past 3 1/2 months since I arrived in this sweet and lovely city. 
Juneau is a beautiful town.  The entire area is absolutely gorgeous regardless of the weather.  But there is something truly magical about this town when the sun comes out.  People smile more, and actively seek reasons to be outside. 
In Tennessee everything comes to a standstill when the first snow flake hits the ground.  Here in Juneau a lot of things slow down and indeed some things do stop, so Juneauites can enjoy that yellow ball in the sky that sometimes only appears infrequently.  Nobody takes the sun for granted here.........
These first pictures were taken on the beaches along the drive between downtown Juneau and Thane.  Thane is well-known for both its homeless campground and it's avalanches in the winter.  But Thane also has a wonderful coastline that contains beautiful views of Douglas Island mountains and miles of sandy beach.  I rode my bike out there a couple of months ago, stopping at every pulloff to walk the beach, explore the abandoned and beached boats, and the old mining relics that are imbedded all over in the sand.  I love the entire length of this area. 
The quiet and beautiful cemetary that is located close to my work.  I walk here fairly often when my spare time during the day is limited but when I still need to be outside, even if for only a few minutes.  The quiet of this place helps to quiet a brain that sometimes runs far too fast and has trouble slowing down.
I remember taking these pictures.  I was driving to work one early morning - one commuter in a line on the highway with many other commuters making our way to the city.  I pulled off the highway at the boat harbor in Auke Bay and took these pictures.  I think I love this harbor very much - one of a few favorite places that I have and that I come back to over and over again.   That morning I was very glad that I took a few minutes to stop, before continuing my rush to the city.
Taken downtown on the first sunny day we had had in a while.  I instantly forgot about work, grabbed my camera and rushed outside.  I am guilty of doing this many times over the past few months.  I can't help it.  Sometimes I just have a few minutes that I can spare to relish the sun........a couple of times I have been lucky enough to find legitimate work-related reasons to be outside, and those times are a gift.
About three weeks after moving into the house I walked down to the end of my road and found a gravel road that I thought ended at a cove.  There was a cove, but on this first day of discovering what actually lay at the end of my road I found something much more.  Ocean - lapping waves in the wind - rocky beach - pine tree filled trail - and snow capped mountains.  Sometimes you receive a gift that is totally unexpected and that brings happiness that is also unexpected.  Finding this place was one of those times.
One Saturday early last month I hiked up to John Muir cabin with a hiking group.  We began the hike in mild temperatures, but with clouds and grey skies.  By the time we arrived up at the cabin we had discovered enough snow to be able to either cross-country ski or snow shoe (my first experience with snow shoeing), beautiful high mountains, panoramic views of both the channel and the city far below.  And we had climbed enough to climb out of the clouds and into the sunshine.  It was a great day and a great hike.
One of many harbors downtown.  This one is close to downtown, and across the highway from the high school, with Douglas mountains in the background.
I wasn't trying to be "artistic" when I took this picture.  It was taken in my yard at the end of the day, and I was focusing on the pussy willows that are becoming more and more evident each day, as spring really settles into the area.  There are high pine trees all around me at the house, and I like the combination of the sky, the pines and the pussy willows in this picture.
Yet one more extraordinary place only a few miles from my home.  I biked out to Eagle Beach on this sunny day to see what Eagle Beach was all about.  I can't use the word "beautiful" enough to describe this place.  It was windy and cold by the ocean, but the sky was completely blue, and the sandy beach, the mountains all around, the sound of both the birds and the waves.............I wish my Mountain Boy had been here to share this day and this wonderful place with me.
There are numerous pull-off areas along Glacier Highway where people can pull over their vehicles and rest or enjoy the views.  These are pictures taken at two separate overlooks, on the way home from Eagle Beach.
This particular picture also shows the pine trees on an island, that hides another most-excellant place to quietly visit.  http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/
And of course, Mendenhall Glacier.  I visited the glacier most recently just a couple of weeks ago, where I took this picture.
After many concerns about my work, about money, about no-roads-leading-out-of-Juneau, about whether or not a move all the way to Juneau Alaska was right for both of us, about our house in Tennessee, our furniture and families and friends and.........my Mountain Boy is coming to Alaska.  I booked a ferry tonight from Bellingham for June 11.  I hate that it is so far from now, but it is booked up until then.  So June 11 it is.
He is coming.  And so is his brother.  He to stay with me - and his brother we are not sure how long he will visit, and I think neither is he.  But at least they can travel together - two not-so-young-men and my Jamie-dog travelling across country together and ready for an adventure in Alaska.
A new (and long overdue) chapter begins soon.  And we are now beginning to figure logistics in earnest.  Our house is being handed over to a property manager when he leaves, and we'll have to continue to make payments at least until it gets rented out.
But most importantly my Mountain Boy is coming to Alaska!

3 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful place, full of majestic, rugged beauty.........and you do a great job photographing it, and describing your thoughts.
    Thanks for sharing them.

    I love Ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might have been able to get them on an earlier ferry if they instead drive to Prince Rupert and caught the Alaska ferry there.

    Its a ton cheaper and cuts a day and a half off the ferry ride...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was definitely an open we considered. Between passport waits, personal issues with brother still in Minnesota, guns and ammunition transport etc they decided to leave from Bellingham.

    ReplyDelete