Sunday, April 18, 2010

Home Bound Day of Rest

After sleeping for 10 hours last night, I woke up this morning feeling vaguely sick and with a headache.  I knew that I was not going out on any adventure-seeking today, and that it would be a quiet mostly home-bound day of rest.
I met a lady at the Convention Center this morning that I had responded to via a Craigslist ad for a pair of Salomon trail-running shoes she wanted to sell.  I have about 6 pairs of Salomons already.  They have seen me through adventure races in more states over the years than I can remember.  I love them, and after trying out many other brands of trails shoes, have always come back to this particular brand.  So I was excited at the possibility of picking up another pair of (new) shoes for a very good price.  It turned out that they were too big for me so I had to pass on them, but while I was at the Convention Center I took a walk around the displays that were set up for a free Outdoor Safety Fair.
There was a lot of great info that I picked up (as well as pens, reflectors, stickers) from booths that included the Coast Guard, avalanche recognition, boating and water safety, Alaska State Troopers, outdoor gear reps, search and rescue, trail safety, mountain rescue, etc. etc.  And I also managed to pick up a trail map of the trails around the Eaglecrest Ski Resort where I hiked yesterday.  Good deal!
On the way home I stopped at Lena Beach just a few miles from home, to try and find that Halloween rock I took a picture of a few days ago.  No luck - couldn't find it and that will teach me to get while the getting is good next time.....
I snapped a picture of a very vocal eagle in a tree right after I got to the beach, and within just a couple of minutes I realized that yet another eagle had landed in the same tree.  These two eagles spent my entire visit to the beach talking back and forth to each other.  Because the eagles at this beach have been so very animated during my last few visits to this beach I really believe that they have nests in this area.
The tide was out, so there was much more rocky shoreline than I am used to at this beach.  There were many ravens right along the water line feeding on..........whatever things there are in seaweed that ravens eat on.  I am showing my ignorance in this area, but much of this stuff related to the ocean - the tides, the vegetation, the bird life, is all very new to me.
I didn't find my Halloween rock but after looking closely at the rocks at this beach I am amazed at the variety of patterns and colors that are evident here.  I bent down to look at one rock, then just reached for a few others that I thought were interesting (all within arms reach of where I was squatting) and put them together so I could snap a quick picture.
I didn't pick up the rock the other day.  I talked myself out of it at the time because I have a lot of these kinds of natural things at the house already - a cigar box full of shells, a blue glass container full of blue clam shells, a metal bowl full of pine cones, nuts, pods etc.  I thought at the time that the last thing I needed was one more stupid rock. 
But when I thought about it later, I realized that it is these kinds of things that truly appeal to me, so I should grab up things that interest me while I have the opportunity.  It hurts no-one and provides me with enjoyment, so why not?  Why not indeed......
I have been thinking a lot about my family recently.
Wondering how Son #1 is doing, and when he is starting his new job down in Tennessee.  Hoping that everything is OK and that he is happy and healthy.
Wondering when Son #2 will make it safely home to the United States.  He left Iraq earlier in the week, but has been grounded in Qatar for the last few days because of the volcano in Iceland.
Thinking about my Mountain Boy.  After many personal, professional, financial and other challenges from both his end and mine, it looks like he will finally make it up here by the end of next month.  I hope.  As it stands now.  I miss him.  And I want him here.
I think I am not feeling well.  And am going to take a nap.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your not feeling well today, I hope it's just the "blaughs".
    I'd like to have the Golden Retriever, and the Coast Guard boat.......in that order. We'll have to check out some of those fair's when I get there.
    The "Eagle Tree" is a really cool place, you'll have to take me there as well.
    I like your rock's, they are pretty. Collect all the rocks, and things ya can......heaven knows you don't have enough stuff like that. lol
    Just kidding, I like the like attraction you have for things like that.....it's part of your charm.
    I love ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete