Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Spur Of The Moment Day

It is Easter Sunday today, and I am away from family.  I wasn't sure how I was going to spend my day.  I woke up early this morning and it was snowing lightly.  An hour later it was raining.  And another hour later the skies were valiantly attempting to clear and the sun was fighting to shine.  I willed those things to happen, because even though there was nothing falling from the sky, it was cold outside.  Colder, it seems, than it has been in a few weeks.  And I wanted and needed to do something quiet and outside.
By 9am, it was still partially sunny and still cold, and I decided to go for a bike ride.  I lightened my heavy pack from yesterday's trip to Mt Jumbo, and headed Out the Road with no particular destination in mind.  Within a couple of miles I was changing from my full-fingered bike gloves, to a fleece lined pair of gortex gloves.  I was cold and even though I wasn't pushing hard during the ride, I realized that I did need to keep moving.  
As I was riding I thought that I might ride down to the Boy Scout camp - a nice trail and beach area that I visited with my short-term room-mate when I first arrived in Juneau.  Obviously I wasn't committed to that plan, because after a few miles of quiet riding and rolling hills I saw a sign for a turnoff to the Amalga Boat Ramp, and on the spur of the moment decided to check it out.  If there was a boat ramp there was water.  If there was water there might be trails.  If there was water and trails, there might be mountain views that I have not seen before.  The logic of a directionless woman alone and in a new state on Easter Sunday.....
Once I turned off Glacier Highway, the quiet country road was beautiful.  After a mile or so I came to a sign that read SAGA.  I had no idea what SAGA was, but saw another sign that said it was run by the CBJ (City and Borough of Juneau), so I at least knew that I was not considering venturing onto private property.  Again on the spur of the moment I decided to turn down the dirt and gravel road and find out what this place was.
Within just a few minutes I saw tents set up in fields on both sides of the road.  That stopped me in my tracks for a second..........my first thought was that this was a campground for the homeless.  I knew that there was one on the other side of Juneau, in the Thane area, but also thought there was one out this way as well.  I wasn't sure about that, but thought that it was past the boy scout camp.....maybe.  I wasn't sure, but after looking at the sites, seeing no-one and realizing that everything was very neat and orderly I decided to continue further.
And finally I arrived at what looked like a private outdoor facility - small neat bunkhouse, kayaks on racks etc.  I decided to head back and also to remember to look online when I got back to the house, to research exactly what this place was.  Here is what I found:
A quiet creek picture - taken from a bridge back on the road.
A still partially frozen lake also pictured from along the road
And finally I arrived at the boat ramp.  There is enough parking for probably 50 or 60 vehicles and trailers, so I can easily imagine that this will be a very busy place in a few short months
A beautiful boat ramp, islands, mountain views, calm water, rocky beach.  I was very glad that I decided to visit this place.
This is the second rock tower that I have found in the past week.  They please me, and make me smile. 
After a long while of walking the rocky beach, enjoying the beautiful views, and taking some pictures I was cold, and decided that it was time to head back.  I walked back to my bike, put on my helmet, and began to ride back through the parking lot, when a trail to my left caught my attention. 
I rode over to it, read the sign that indicated that it was just a short walk, hid my bike behind a tree (although I had only seen one other person all the time I had been at the beach) and headed onto the trail.
It was a very easy and gentle trail, full of soft moss and pine needles - these kinds of trails always feel as though I am walking on a carpet.  My knees love these trails.
Every quarter mile or so I ran into signs that provided visitors with information about the types of trees found in these woods, the water birds and the types of fish that could be found in the water.  All very low key and interesting.
Aside from the fact that I didn't move my gloved finger completely out of the shot, I really like this picture.  It is of a lake I came across while walking on the trail.  You can tell that the weather was unsettled but very calm today, and you can see (twice) the snow line from last night.
The trail circled around to a dirt road that I walked back to my bike.  I have no idea why this chimney is sitting here, or what structure was built around it. 
A young woman had walked down to the water as I was heading into the woods, and we met again at this chimney as she was heading back down the road.  We both took pictures of it, and I passed her on the road on my bike a few minutes later.  She was wearing headphones and listening to music, and was not even aware of the fact that I was close.  Given bear sightings this spring locally, and given the female runner who was attacked and killed by a wolf in another part of the state, I was surpised that she would be so naive when it came to her own personal safety.
I was cold.  And it was time to head home.  On the way back I stopped (once again in an unplanned spur of the moment) at the city's Arboretum. I visited this place in the dead of winter in early February, while first checking out my house for rent.  At that time it was freezing cold, and the entire set of gardens were full of ice and snow.  The place held great promise though, and even this early in the growing season there are already things that are growing in this set of gardens.
Some pictures of what this place will look like during the summer:
The last time I visited, I spoke with the Arboretum manager, and he told me that he hears and see whales and sea lions very often in this little cove.  And sure enough I heard a small group of sea lions barking at each other close to the island last visit.
This visit.........I had taken a number of pictures of the many little garden areas that are still developing in this early growing season, and was getting ready to leave.  As I put my bike helmet on I heard a large high pitched noise coming from the water.  I stopped moving and searched the water, and listened hoping to hear the noise again. 
About half way between the shore by the arboretum and the island I could see a large section of the water that looked "different" from the rest of the quiet and calm lake.  And every once in a while I could see "something" splashing.  I waited for another 10 minutes, but did not hear the sound again.  The only time I have ever heard that sound has been in movies - never in real life.  I really believe that I heard a whale.  Happy Easter to me.

To anyone who reads this today - I hope that you had a very very Happy Easter.  And thanks for taking the time to read.

3 comments:

  1. Your pictures have gotten dramatically better, they are extremely beautiful. I really think you are getting the hang of angles and lighting that will make for stunning pictures. Just breathtaking, I can't wait to see it in person. I also can't wait for your first bear picture. Hopefully its at a safe distance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blog post... ! thanks-a-lot

    yep....Easter Sunday, great food at The Farmhouse, some sunshine and some great photography today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting trip. I think one of the highlight's for me was the story about Eaglerock.

    I really enjoyed the Easter outing. As usual this trip was loaded with beautiful pictures.

    I Love Ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete