Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Friday of Random Visits

Some more pictures taken yesterday afternoon.  These first ones are from the Thane area.  If you look closely at the top picture that is a flock of ducks clustered together in the channel. 
Thane is an awesome and interesting area - all five miles of it from the downtown area until you get to the end (literally "End") of the road. 
There are multiple pulloffs along the way, where you can stop and walk the beach.  The beach areas line the entire trip, and have beautiful mountain views, old abandoned and interesting boats lining the shore, old abandoned boat docks,  and rusted remnants from the city's mining history.
On the other side of the city, and just outside of town, is a lake and children's play park.  I watched kids playing hockey on this small lake just a couple of months ago.
Out in the Valley is a greenhouse operated by the City of Juneau.  Inside this greenhouse is the over 20,000 young plants and flowers that will be planted after May 15.  These flowers will be spread throughout the city in road medians, planter boxes, hanging planters, from street lights etc.
I observed yesterday that the entire city is slowly but surely starting to gear up for the upcoming very busy (and financially imperative to the health of the city) tourist season.  Within the next month there will be non-stop sweeping, painting, cleaning, planting...........I can't wait to see what this beautiful town looks like when it puts its best face on!
DIPAC - a salmon fish hatchery visitor center is located just a couple of miles from downtown Juneau.
A link with more information:  http://dipac.net/visitor.htm
This eagle was sitting on a post at the end of a ramp and fishing dock near the salmon hatchery.  I started taking pictures from the parking lot and kept taking pictures non-stop as I kept moving closer and closer.  I expected him to fly away at any moment, but he never did.  He became aware of me by the time I was half way down the ramp, but seemed unperturbed by my presence.
I know that I posted this picture on my blog yesterday, but I am so pleased to have had the chance to get so close to him, that I had to post it again.

1 comment:

  1. The salmon ladder is neat, and you know I like the eagle.
    I'm bettin' that's the same eagle that was trying eat last week when you messed with him and started "The Great Eagle War"......he remember's you, he's luring you in, just waiting to get his revenge. lol

    Another good one Doll,
    I love ya,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete