Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines Day

A firepit in the snow up at Eaglecrest last night

Two of my colleagues generously invited me to go up to Eaglescrest Ski Resort last night with them.  We headed up there around 3:30 yesterday afternoon.  I wasn't sure what was going on up there last night, but I had been wanting to visit the ski area (and the interior of Douglas Island) since my arrival in Juneau 5 weeks ago, so I gratefully and excitedly accepted their invitation.  Within only about 10 minutes from downtown Juneau at sea level, we were in the mountains, and officially in ski country.
A few pictures taken both on the way up to the ski resort and immediately upon arrival.  It is as beautiful as I imagined that it would be.  The amount of snowfall in the area this season is far below normal averages, but there is still enough none-the-less for some great skiing.  I cannot wait to do some hiking in this area during the summer months......
Eaglescrest is owned by the City and Borough of Juneau.  What an extraordinary recreational activity so close to town, so accessible to the residents of the area, and so reasonably priced.  
I took this picture from the balconey of the ski lodge.  I had been watching with a smile, as this parent gently nudged their very young skiier along, from half way up the hill.  Teenagers, adults, seniors, and many many school aged and younger children were on the slopes, finishing off their last run for the day by the time we arrived.  And the littlest of the little ones were the ones you couldn't help but smile at - with their tiny helmets, skis and boots.  :-)
My colleagues Suzanne and Kevin, who I met after my arrival in Juneau.  Two more displaced Tennesseans as it turns out.
I love this little digital camera that my oldest son bought for me for Christmas.  It has opened up a whole new picture-taking world for me, and has been an important part of this whole blogging experience I have embarked upon since just a few days before I left Tennessee.  But it does not take great pictures when it gets very dark.  I tried to take some pictures of the torch run last night, but they did not turn out.  Once it was dark, the ski run above was filled with 30 skiiers carrying red torches that started at the top of the run, and criss-crossed the width of the slope on the way down the hill.  It was pitch black outside, and overcast so there were no stars out - just 30 bright red lights zig-zagging their way down the run that  was a wonderful site.

After the torch-run there was a fireworks display.  Most of my pictures either came out black or I could not time them well enough to really give the full effect.  Thankfully I was able to get a few really nice pictures though.  It was my first experience standing in the middle of winter, in the middle of the mountains, with a large group of fellow outdoor enthusiasts, enjoying a fireworks show on a Saturday night.
I took this picture because the skis on the stand, in the partial darkness, looked like a colorful work of art.  The big circle in the picture is actually just a rain drop on the camera lense.  The temperature when we left Juneau yesterday afternoon was 42 degrees.  Even at elevation the temperature was 38 degrees, with a chilly drizzle.
After the fireworks people stood around the firepit, throwing more palettes on the fire to build it up.  It was all very nice, and so different from my life as a Tennessean.
Believe it or not, 11 hours after we left Eaglecrest on Saturday night, we were back up there again - ready and excited to take a ski lesson.  Kevin and Suzanne already had plans to take a beginner ski lesson and asked me if I wanted to join them.  I was hesitant for a while - worried about messing up my still-recovering knee.  But the more time I spent up in the mountains on Saturday night, and thought about a beginner ski class.......finally I just couldn't pass it up.
Back the next morning - still about 38 degrees and still drizzling.
Suzanne and Kevin wearing their ski boots, and waiting nervously for class to start
Our instructor Stewart put us through two hours of various ski exercises and techniques before he took us up the beginner hill.  He was an excellent instructor - competant, experienced, supportive, enouraging, and is was obvious that he enjoyed teaching
Me getting ready to go up the lift.  The weather had been getting progressively worse through our class, and by the time we got onto the lift and went up to the top of the (little) slope, it was very windy with a combination of rain, freezing rain and wet snow.  I don't think ANY of us noticed it much though - too nervous and excited :-)
YEAH!!  I didn't kill my fool self.
Some final thoughts:
I love Douglas Island.  It is wild, untamed and beautiful.  
Even though I had one concerning moment with my knee (hardly me at my most graceful unfortunately) this old beat up body held up OK.  I think I can really come to like downhill skiing very much.
I greatly enjoyed the instructor, and enjoyed the newbie-skiier experience with my two colleagues.
I missed LC on the mountain today.  I miss him more and more every day. 
Happy Valentines Day Babe.

How Do I Love Thee?  Let Me Count The Ways
By:  Elizabeth Barrett Browning
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the poem Doll. Elizabeth Barrett Browning is one of my favorite poet's; John Moses Browning is my all time favorite firearms inventor; and I admire Ronnie Barrett because he invented the Barrett .50 caliber sniper rifle so it all fit's right in, huh? lol

    Seriously, I like the poem thank you. I found you one of the older Remington model 700 30-06 rifles, in left hand configuration.....it's in like new condition.......for your birthday, and Valentine's Day........ these rifles are very hard to come by these days. I know you'll like it. I can't wait to see you nailing the bulls eye at 200 yards with it.
    I love you Doll, Happy Valentines Day.
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left handed configuration, eh?? Can't wait to shoot it. You big romantic lug. XX

    ReplyDelete