Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Finding Joy Whenever and Wherever

Taken in town on the way to work at about 7:45 this morning - new but light snowfall up in the mountains, and wet snow that did not stick to the ground down at sea level.
 
The more I learn about my job, the politics and the players, the more concerned I become.  If this were anywhere else in the Lower 48 it would not concern me as much.  If you want to start all over again in the -48 you just rent a U-Haul, load up your belongings and move on.  But as beautiful and rugged and isolated as Alaska is, and especially as Juneau is, there is a real possibility of getting stuck here - of finding yourself in a bad situation and not having the money to get yourself home.  Weighing the contradictory priorities of trying to make this job work while at the same time delaying moving my family to Juneau until I am more certain of this job's future has played heavily on me today.
By mid-afternoon I was downtown heading for a business meeting and stopped for a few minutes to take pictures of the wonderful fishing boats down off the pier
 
I found this house listed in a real estate magazine this afternoon.  It is the same house that I saw and photographed on my walk through the back hills of the city, Basin Rd and part of Perserverance Trail on Sunday.  It is listed as a combination of commercial and residential property and priced at $279,000.  No no no.  That will never do.
The mountains were barely visible in the clouds and fog this afternoon
Even when the sky is full of wet snow, light rain, clouds and fog (as it was today), I still find this town so beautiful.  I find joy whenever and wherever I can.  Today it was catching a glimpse of the mountains in this picture when only 10 minutes before, the mountains were completely hidden by the fog.  Today it was a huge and friendly black dog sleeping for a while under the table and then wandering from person to person for attention during a meeting.  Today it was taking pictures of wonderful fishing vessels.  Yesterday it was running up and down 5 flights of stairs at the hotel for an hour for a quick workout.  Yesterday it was watching a mother push an empty stroller at a park while she patiently followed her obviously newly-learned-to-walk toddler around playground equipment. 

1 comment:

  1. I share your thought's, and concern's Doll.
    Tell ya what, we'll just buy a fishing boat. Then if things go bad we can just fish our way home.
    I'm down here safe, and sound. It's like your on the front line's, I worry about you being up there alone.
    If it all get's to crazy come on home. We love you, we'll build our dream's some place else. We have the whole country to choose from.
    Love Ya,
    MB

    ReplyDelete