Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mt Roberts Trail

I woke up this morning excitedly looking forward to trying out this new/old mountain bike that I have found in my travels in Juneau.  But very quickly it became obvious that I would not be biking today.  It was very windy, with strong gusts, and it was raining solidly and coldly.  I must be getting old 'cause wind, rain and cold would never have slowed me down just a few years ago.  Hell no.
Maybe it was age - maybe it was that I spent most of last year with an injured slash recovering slash rehabing slash reinjured slash recovering from surgery.......knee, and I didn't want to take a chance on messing it up.  Naaah.  It was that I was getting old. 
But either way, getting on a bike and riding on an island out to open water-ways just didn't sound like a fun time in that weather.  So on to Plan B.
What was Plan B??  Well - I wasn't immediately sure......but finally came up with a plan to hike up Mt Roberts Trail as far as the wonderful tourist attraction - Mt Roberts Tramway.
This time around I was better prepared.  The weather was very wet and windy - and I was fairly certain that as I climbed in elevation it would begin to feel very cold.  So......baselayer/fleece/rain jacket on top........tights and rain pants on bottom.....wool socks and gore-tex trail shoes (I much prefer trail shoes to the hiking boots I have been wearing since I arrived in Juneau.  A nod to my years of adventure racing I think).  Fleece hat,  water proof insulated gloves and my Yak-Trax. 
Extra gear included another fleece in my dry bag, as well as carrying a compass/headlamp/first aid kit/knife/whistle/space blanket/food and water.  With the exception of the food and water it turns out that I did not need any of the extra gear I was carrying.  But honestly, given the cold temperatures, snow, ice, and slick challenging trails that I encountered, I am very glad that I had the gear with me.  I have been out in backwoods areas enough over the years to know that things can go bad-wrong very quickly.  Thankfully not today though.
I started out along Basin Rd with mountains all around me
Until I came to the Mt Roberts Trailhead
 
For the first 20-30 minutes I became a willing part of a most beautiful rainforest.  The trail was steep, full of roots, muddy from overnight rain, but soft underfoot because of pine needles and the ever-present moss covering everything.  And the elevation increased steadily throughout that section.
I am not sure what this plant is but I have seen it often on each trail I have explored in Juneau so far.  It first caught my attention the first weekend I was here, when I grabbed a hold of one of these plants to use as a balance check on a climb on a trail.  This plant has tough thick thorns/bristles - and they HURT when you grab onto them.
One of many beautiful overlooks on the early part of the trail - that's downtown Juneau and the mountains of Douglas Island in view.  Beautiful.
Some more photographs captured in between the pine trees, as I continued to climb in elevation.  It was at this point that I realized that I had climbed so much that I was no longer looking up at the mountains - that I was beginning to look directly across at them.  It was also at this point that I realized that I have been yearning to be in the mountains all along, and to be a part of them - not just an observer of them.
Eventually I had climbed enough that the trail began to be covered with long sheets of ice.  After carefully negotiating the first few icy sections I dug out my Yak-Trax.
And ice quickly turned to snow
And there it was - I was one with the mountain, and we were facing each other eye to eye.  Beauty that can make you cry.  Beauty that made me cry for just a minute before I continued moving higher.
Thigh deep snow on the trail by this time.
And finally, after only 90 minutes of non-stop climbing through a beautiful pine-tree filled rain forest, through ice, and through snow I contentedly made it to the top of Mt Roberts Trail - where the Tramway runs non-stop for tourists in the summer, and where the overlook provides miles of uninterrupted island, mountain and channel views.
I only stayed at the summit long enough to call LC, take some pictures, eat a muffin, drink some water, and put back on the gloves and fleece I had taken off during the climb up.  Sure enough the temperature at the summit was a good deal colder than it was down at sea level, and my fingers quickly froze while I got myself situated eating and dressing.
Although the trek down was a little dicey with the navigation of snowy and then icy trails, 60 minutes later I was back down on Basin Road and headed back to the hotel to warm up.  A wonderful exhilarating walk on a weekend day.

1 comment:

  1. That plant is devil's club. It's not just sharp, it's like poison ivy. You're fine on the trail but if you head into the woods for any reason watch for it, especially if you have on shorts or short sleeves.

    ReplyDelete