Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gentle And Quiet Places

After leaving the house-for-rent Out The Road, my colleagues and I drove just a few more miles further out to explore and to enjoy the never-ending water and mountain scenes.  My colleagues humored me each time I yelled "Stop" - I was never a photobug in my past life.  But ever since Son #1 gave me this digital camera for Christmas, and ever since I made the move to Juneau Alaska, I have turned into a compulsive photographer.  
Does the beauty ever end?  Does there ever come a time when residents no longer "see" the beauty because it is just always there - so accessible? 
Final stop before heading back to town was the Arboretum.  This is what it looks like in the summer:
And this is what it looks like while it is in hibernation for the winter:
This tree (looking a bit worse for wear) is apparently a favorite climbing tree of area bears
The arboretum, at least during the winter is a gentle and quiet place.  We met the horticulturist while we were there.  He lives on-sight, and is obviously dedicated to what he does, and loves his job very much.  He told us of whales that play constantly, not only out in the channel but also in the little cove in the above picture.  While we were there we heard sea lions barking to each other out in the channel.  There are trails throughout the area, and this beautiful place apparently "changes" every 3 weeks or so during the warm growing seasons, with the types of flowers and plants continually evolving.

No comments:

Post a Comment