Monday, February 8, 2010

Someday a Mountain

I was running late for a meeting this morning - rushing through downtown on foot, while also mentally going through issues I wanted to discuss in the meeting.  
I happened to glance over towards the channel and saw an eagle perched on a post in the water.  I really wanted to stop and take a picture, because he was SO CLOSE..........but I did not have enough time for such things. 
Silly me.  It was just a meeting - and we weren't finding solutions for world peace.........I should have stopped for a moment to take the picture, because I did not know when the next time would be, that I would see another one of these beautiful iconic all-American birds so closely. 
Maybe he would still be there after the meeting??  I hoped.  But I doubted.
After my meeting I walked back down to the channel looking for him.  And happily he was still there.  Still perched on top of the same post.  I started to take a picture of him, and just as I snapped the picture another eagle joined the first.  I could hardly believe my luck.  Here they are - these birds with their cotton-ball heads made my day.

I posted this picture because I wanted my Mountain Boy to see it.  It is the boat I told him about.
Today I had good and productive meetings at work.  And received reassurances that were.........reassuring.  After 4 weeks, something very small and barely perceptible (but definately there) is starting to fall into place.  I say that with a good deal of trepidation, while also realizing today that I have been wound very very tightly for the past month.   It has been emotionally exhausting.  The only thing that has alleviated those feelings and that has helped to keep me grounded in this beautiful but still-strange-place, has been my active pursuit of the mountains.  Today does not provide all the answers that I still need, but some of them can only be answered with time.  But today was a move in a positive direction.
Pictures at the end of the day, and taken on my way back to the hotel.
Someday a Mountain

© Kaerlek Janislampi
i'm going to be a mountain someday
and just stand all the time
stalwart and mighty
collecting crystal s from heaven
and dispersing them ever so gently
kindly and impartially
to thirsty fields below
i will rise to alpine stature
i will be a mountain
firm and ever a humble beacon
a lofty rising peak
that calls to the brave and strong
urging all yearnings
to look up
to arise
and stop determined storms
and be a rocky sanctuary
more than a point of reference
above the din of banality
and hostile indifference
loving in the purity
of nearness to God
crowned in white that holds all color
fed by the groanings of the earth
standing, always standing
yes, i'm going to be a mountain
someday
for this
i rise up

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once Again you have posted beautiful pictures. What luck with the Eagles, they are beautiful, majestic birds.

    About the boat, I'll take it, even though it is more of a pleasure boat than a fishing boat...ha ha

    Glad ya got so good news from your meeting, it's about time huh Doll.

    I like the poem about the mountain. So, you want to come back as a mountain, like the author of the poem. Well I want to come back as a big, burly, coastal brown bear so I can scare all the fishermen away from their catch, and eat all the fresh fish I want.

    I Love Ya Doll,
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take back something I wrote in the blog. Two things have kept me grounded since I arrived here. The mountains is one thing. You are the other.

    ReplyDelete