Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Give To You My Son

My favorite picture from today.  There is something very architectural, linear, streamlined, mathematical about it - qualities that appealed to me without my realizing it, judging from some of my other pictures taken downtown during the day. 
The day was entirely as predicted by the forecasters - cloudy, foggy and drizzling rain.   I watched the sky off and on all day, and could see the appearance of the mountains literally change before my eyes, as the fog and cloud banks shifted throughout the day.  Beautiful in a different and compelling way from the obvious beauty of the blue skies we enjoyed this past weekend.
An eagle sitting quietly and unnoticed across from the hotel that I am staying at
I received a package from my son in Iraq at work today.  My child surprisingly sent me a package from a war zone.  How about that??
Last time he was over there he would call me late at night on the phone and talk to me for an hour or more sometimes.  This time around he talks to me for only a few minutes at a time before we inevitably get cut off in mid-sentence.  I don't know why that is, and why phone access seems to be less this time around.  But regardless, it is always good to hear his voice, even briefly, and to know for certain that he is still OK.
When he first asked me for an address here in Alaska it was when I was preparing to move out of a temporary room-mates' condo.  I was getting ready to move into the hotel, and (like a lost puppy) did not have a permanent place yet - so I gave him my work address.  Today he sent me a package - no note.  I won't ask questions, but rather just say Thank You Babe.  
Unexpectedly receiving a package from my child sent me into an introspective afternoon, thinking deeply about my youngest son.    I miss the hell out of him.

I Give To You, My Son-
I held him as an infant; I hugged him as a boy
and through the years he has become my greatest pride and joy.
I love him more than I can say,
his life more precious than my own,
but gone are the whims and notions of the little boy that I had known.
For the years have passed so quickly since the time it all began
and now he stands before me with the conviction of a man.
He wants to serve his country, he states aloud with pride
as I try to sort out the emotions that I'm feeling deep inside...
a union of the uncertain fear, which I cannot control
and the allegiance which lies deep within my patriotic soul.
I trust that my years of guidance will serve as a strong foundation
as he performs the duties requested from his beloved nation.
God please guide him as he travels to the places our soldiers have bled
and walk with him through pathways where those heroes' feet have tread.
Oh Sweet Land of Liberty, humbly I give to you, my son
praying you'll return him safely home when his work for you is done.
---Author unknown---
I took this picture because the boat has the same name as my pup in Tennessee.  I know that Jamie is keeping my Mountain Boy company down there while we are apart.  I imagine her doing what I know she loves to do every single day - lay over the arm of the couch looking out the windows of our livingroom for hours on end, while watching the world go by.  
Pictures of S Douglas taken from my hotel room late in the day.  Douglas Island transforms in appearance from a beautiful mountainous island in the sunshine, to a truly wild and untamed island in the clouds and fog.  I really am looking forward to finding opportunities to explore the vastly undeveloped and trail-filled interior regions of this place.
And finally, a whimsical sign found on the wall outside of a restaurant in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment