Thursday, January 21, 2010

Who Adopted Who?


I took very few pictures today.  All of the pictures were taken from a car and while I was in a hurry to get from one meeting to another.  With the exception of this picture taken on the way to Mendenhall Valley none of the pictures I took today were very good.  Because they were taken from inside a car.  And I was in a hurry.  And distracted.  The mountains were beautiful, and the weather so clear that I could see completely snow covered mountains in the far distance that I had not seen before.  But it was a rushed and stressed day - a day where I let my work responsibilities take over, and I had neither the time nor energy to feel the mountains.  Or to fit in a workout.  Regardless of other successes I had today, missing out on the mountains and the workout feel like losses.  Will try again tomorrow.....


My dog Jamie.  She is 6 years old.  I lived in the country in middle TN and about 5 1/2 years ago she just showed up on my doorstep.  I didn't want another dog - we had already adopted a dog from the humane society a few years earlier and one was enough.  I asked my boys not to give her food or water, and thought that she would just eventually move on to another home, but she never left.  Each day I would come home from work and she would come bounding happily to me from some corner of the yard.  After a few days and nights of this I looked out the window one early morning and saw her licking ice off the back porch.  One soft hearted moment for a thirsty dog led to one bowl of water led to one bowl of food led to one visit to the vet led to a dog who became the newest member of our family.  When the boys left home and after I got divorced Jamie came with me when I moved on, and her sweet nature and individual personality helped keep me grounded.  I miss my mutt.  And now I'm not sure if  5 1/2 years ago I adopted her, or if she adopted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment