Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Home For The Next Month

Today was a busy day - number crunching again all day at work, moving furniture from the condo to another colleague's garage (some of which I had bought, and some which the colleague had bought from the Anchorage-bound room-mate), and finally moving into the extended stay hotel.
The weather in Juneau continues to confound me.  Yesterday it was so foggy for a few miles on the way to work, that I literally could not see either the Gastineau Channel or Douglas Island.  It had been clear all the way from Auke Bay to Mendenhall Valley.  Once at the valley the channel and island completely diseappeared in the fog, only to reappear again a few miles later. 
A few days earlier fog covered the same area, but was not as widespread.  I saw something that morning that I had not seen before - low lying fog, and mountain peaks above the fog (making it appear that the mountains were literally floating in the air).  An amazing sight, but one time when I did not have my camera at the ready.
Tonight my now ex-room-mate and I travelled from sunny and clear to socked-in fog again, within just a few miles of each other.  There are literally different weather fronts every couple of miles in the Juneau area, making even local travel an interesting adventure.
I am pleased to have moved into the extended stay hotel.  I have a nice room, for a very reasonable off-season price, with a water-front view and a balcony right downtown.  Between the convenience, the price, the location and the solitude it is a good move for me now.  My head is tired these days, and social niceties with strangers (both those I come in contact with at work and while staying in someone's home) take more energy than I have to give or want to expend.  A very good move.
While dropping off furniture today I came in contact with my colleague's two dogs, who were happy to see me after having spent their entire day alone.  Happily I took a few minutes to pet and love on them, and they were sweet dogs, who enjoyed the attention.  But these sweet-natured mutts reminded me of how much I miss my own dog.  Which reminded me of how much I miss my Tennessee mountain boy.  Which reminded me of how much I miss my son, and my house and my truck.  Damn.......

The pictures were taken from the car again today, in late afternoon sunshine while on trips to and from my various destinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment