Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Mountains Are Calling


For the second day in a row the sun was shining in Juneau.  I have been in Alaska for only 12 days and I already have that common malady so typical of Juneauites - that irresistible calling to be outside whenever the sky turns blue and the sun shines down on the beautiful mountains.  I made no attempt to resist the call.  Walking away from offices and budgets I headed outside to take some pictures - enjoying the sun but all the while deeply regretting that I was not in a position today to be able to just walk away from responsibilities and obligations, and head for the trails.


Patsy Ann
Juneau's "Official Greeter" in the 1930's







"The mountains are calling and I must go".......John Muir

Today was better, although no outstanding issues were resolved.  I spoke with my oldest boy and my grizzled-mountain-boy love, and both are fine.  Still stewing over living arrangements, and unresolved professional issues.  Still wondering why my military son has not contacted me, but secure in the knowledge that the government will contact me if there is something wrong. 
Sore muscles from increasingly regular workouts, and that is the most secure thing of all for me right now.  I understand muscle soreness.  I know what muscle soreness means.  It is a familiar friend and I embrace it.  I have plans for boring workouts for the next few days, and then plans for a long extended hike on the trails on Sunday.  I hope that the sun stays out until Sunday, but today is only Wednesday and in Juneau I suspect that may not happen.  The sun is beautiful, but the clouds and fog that dominate these northern skies have a beauty of their own, and regardless of the weather on Sunday it will be a beautiful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment