Friday, January 22, 2010

Walks Good For The Soul


Images taken from the inside of a car on a beautiful and sunny Friday in Juneau



After work today I went to the gym and ran on a treadmill.  I ran for only 15 minutes at a slow pace, but it is the most running I have done since I had knee surgery in early December and it felt.......OK.  Different, and plodding and slow, but not hurtful and that's a good thing. 
My mind was in a wandering mood after focusing almost the entire day on crunching numbers, and even though I was happy to be in the gym I was not focused enough to stay with one thing.  Thankfully I had a choice of activities and equipment and I wandered from hill walking on the treadmill, to rowing machine, to situps and pushups to actually doing something I haven't done in years - putting on a pair of boxing gloves and kicking and punching the bags.  After almost two hours I had spent the energy I had pent-up and was ready to go home.
The days are getting longer in Juneau - according to one colleague 4 minutes a day, which seems like a lot until you realize that by summer Juneau will see 18 hours of sunlight each day.  
Next week I will move out of the condo, my room-mate will move to Anchorage to begin a new job, and I will move to downtown Juneau and stay at an extended stay hotel.  I need to have some of my bike clothes sent up to me so I can borrow that mountain bike I was promised and explore Douglas Island.
The weekend is here.  Plans for a long walk around Auke Bay tomrrow.  More plans for a trail hike Sunday.  Walks outdoors that will be good for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment