Monday, January 18, 2010

This Most Beautiful of Places


The Ferry Terminal (right across the bay from the condo I am staying at)

Although it was cloudy and a little foggy today, there were mountains close to where I am staying that I had not seen in the past week or so since I arrived in Juneau.  There was no choice in the matter - I had to get outside and see and picture these mountains:



My room-mate and I took a short walk on the shore of S Douglas Island this afternoon.  The trail beside the beach is known as Treadwell Trail - and I took many pictures of not only the trail but also some of the remaining signs of what this area used to be (a successful gold mine in the area long before Juneau was a city)
These are pictures of the marina, park, and ice skating arena area of the park
 

 

The beach, trail and remnants of what once was a thriving gold mine:













More pictures taken today from the pier of the Alaska Marine Ferry Terminal



No comments:

Post a Comment