Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Unexpected Spring Snows

The snow was neither bad news nor an inconvenience to everyone!

My alarm went off this morning at 6:20am, I looked out the window, and was very surprised to see that the trees and ground were both completely covered with snow. 
The forecast had called for a combination of rain and snow, but I did not pay much attention to the projected forecast.  6 days out of every 7 (almost the entire two and a half months that I have been in Juneau) the forecast has called for either rain or snow, or a combination of both.  I don't think that NOAA really changes their forecast for our area.  They are usually right - we get either rain or snow.  And if they're wrong, nobody is upset about it 'cause that means no precipitation at all (a good thing), or better yet, sun.  
Regardless, I woke to more snow down at sea level than I have seen so far this winter.  It was immediately obvious that I would not be making it to work on time.........
I called in to work, told them I would keep them posted as to whether or not I could make it in, and then cancelled an important appointment I had listed on my calendar for over a month...........darn.
And then I got dressed, and went outside to figure out whether or not driving to work was going to be a viable  option.  As I walked outside I was thinking about a number of things - taking pictures of unexpected and very beautiful snow.............a work appointment that I had scheduled for tonight..........the tulips that I had photographed on my walk yesterday that were now probably buried in snow downtown............wondering if my car could make it up the hill to get off a side road, then one more hill before I made it to Glacier Highway.............wondering what I would do if I got stuck or rolled or slid down those hills (the first one being the most concern)............darn.
I checked out my driveway and the car, then walked up the road.  Mostly I was interested in the hills.  I walked them - not sure that I could make it up.  Oh hell!!!  I hate indecision!!!
I have always loved spring snows - they are wet, and heavy and beautiful.  And they make beautiful postcard-like winter-wonderland-like pictures.  Here is my snow-covered car in the driveway. 
After taking this picture I dug out my driveway so I could drive out if I thought I could make it.  And there were others in the neighborhood doing the same.  One 4 wheeler had a snow plough on the front of his vehicle, and he very nicely finished off my driveway for me.   And then started working on the road.
Went back in the house.  Got dressed for work.  Got all of my work gear together.  Looked outside and saw white-out conditions in the hills.  And heavy snow still falling.  And my driveway already starting to be covered again with snow.
Could I make it up the hill?  Could I make it up the second hill?  What was my course of action if I got stuck?  Or slid?  It was still snowing heavily.  If I can make it to work, could I make it back home again?  Oh hell!!!!  I hate indecision!!!
I grabbed my car keys (thinking I could warm up the car while clearing snow off of it), pulled my boots on (the green plaid $2 Salvation Army Store ones) and walked down the walkway to look at the driveway and road again.  Snow was accumulating.  Walked to the hill and it was scary looking to me.  Walked up the hill to the road leading to Glacier Highway - it had not been ploughed and the hill looked enitrely dubious. 
I looked up in the hills surrounding me again and they were still in white-out.
Screw it.  Enough indecision.  I wasn't risking it.  I was calling it a day and hunkering down in my house - staying
warm, drinking apple cider, working on some papers I brought home from work last night, and listening to the
frequent rumbles of snow sliding off my roof (which I know will scare the heck out my Jamie-dog next winter).
My cabin in the snow.  Very Alaska. 
The weather forecast is calling for a 90% chance of rain tonight, and a 100% chance of rain tomorrow with a high of 41.  But what the heck does NOAA know?? 

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are enchanting, the snow is beautiful, and as long as ya have the perfect excuse........play hooky.
    Sit in the cabin, drink apple cider, and sing.....

    "Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the ciders so delightful, and as long as your car won't go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow".

    Love ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, by late afternoon it did start to rain and I actually made it to work for a few hours so I could attend to my evening obligation.

    I had forgotten about one hill, and it was a little dicy on those 3 hills (really holding my breath on the last one until I made it up) but roads were clear once I made it to the highway.

    Less snow in Auke Bay, even less in the Valley, and none at all in Juneau.

    The snow rolling off the roof is NOISY! It's gonna scare Jamie big time.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete