Monday, March 22, 2010

A Not-So-Quick Walk On A Tough Day

I have seen some daffodils floating around offices at work over the past few weeks, but these are the first real flowers that I have seen actually growing in a garden.  Spring is officially here according to the calendar, but these beautiful flowers remind me that spring in the world of Alaska is......close.  These flowers provided me with hope  for the future.  During yet one more tough, trying and confusing day at work, they gave me something that I needed today.  Promise.

In the middle of the day I went for a greatly needed and extended walk outside.  Back to Cope Park - a quiet and natural space in the middle of town.  It wasn't a really pretty walk - the trail was rocky, muddy and full of both dead trees and trees that have not yet sprung to life with the changing season.
But the walk was interesting - it connects eventually with Basin Road, which accesses beautiful trails such as Perserverance and Mt Roberts. And it provided a close-up glimpse of a piece of Juneau, which is rich in mining history......
After coming off Basin Road I wandered through the top end of downtown, trying to find a quick way back to work.  Instead I surprisingly found a vertigo inducing bridge and set of stairs that overlooked the Governor's Mansion.
It was a good walk.  Longer than I had meant to be out, but I needed to be out.  It gave me the fortitude to be able to "get back in there" and do it all over again.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty flowers, very interesting walk......took longer than ya planned, and you were late getting back to work.....right?....I knew it.
    Tell ya something else I know, I saw something out there on those trails that tells me you will wake up tomorrow with a heavy snow.......doesn't matter what the weather man says it will snow.

    ........of course the fact that I am posting this comment after ya posted the pictures of the snow was helpful.....but I knew it anyway; really I did.

    Love ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete