Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Angry Sky and Angry Mountains

Taken in downtown Juneau this morning.
The weather has been what I suppose is more Juneau-like recently, than what I have enjoyed these past two months since I arrived in Alaska.  The day I landed in Juneau (January 9) it was 20 degrees colder in Tennessee than it was here.  And that has been the prevailing weather-theme all this time - cold and snowy in Tennessee and mild and rainy in Juneau.  No more. 
I doubt that we will see the kinds of snowfall that Juneau experienced last winter (over 200 inches), but the past week has been a non-stop combination of rain, sleet, snow and high winds.
On Monday morning I was scheduled to be at work by 5:30am.  At 4:50am I walked outside into the cold and dark, and found a snow covered ice-box that looked very much like my car.  My locks were frozen solid.  My doors were frozen solid.  Everything was buried under a sheet of icy-snow.  After spending 30 minutes clearing off some of the ice and snow, and then trying to unfreeze my locks and/or unjam a door (any door), I reluctantly called work to tell them that 5:30am wasn't going to happen. 
After warming up back in the house, I did some research on the internet and tried again.  My locks began to move a bit, so I knew that I was making some progress, but I was beginning to get worried that I was going to mess up the seals around my doors because of all the prodding and poking I had placed on them with both a screwdriver and a ice scraper.  For the first time I was relieved that I did not have a brand new car whose paint job I also had to be concerned about.
Evenutally my Mountain Boy made the suggestion of slightly warmed water around the door, and that turned out to be what worked.  And then I drove very s-l-o-w-l-y to work on icy roads, all the while watching for stalled out and ditched vehicles (of which there were a few).  60 minutes after leaving my driveway I finally arrived at work, cold, tired and ready for a nap.
The bands of snow showers, as with other weather fronts in this area, are extremely isolated.  When I left work this afternoon the snow was extremely heavy, with low visibility, and high winds.  It was still snowing heavily when I arrived in the Valley.  But by the time I hit Auke Bay there was no snow at all.  And by the time I got home it was not even raining.  Just a quiet, calm and grey early evening. 
Some more pictures taken downtown on what was a cold and grey morning this morning.  Not a soul on the streets of Juneau..........
Views from my office - the first picture was taken mid-afternoon, and the second and third pictures were taken only 10 minutes later when heavy bands of snow completely obliterated the mountains I had just photographed.
For the past few days I have not viewed Juneau as a beautiful place, as I have for the past two months.  Rather the sky, the water, the mountains, have taken on a rough, violent and unwelcoming edge to them recently.  It is vaguely unsettling for me right now but I know that those feelings are only transitory.   
With the waters in the channel crashing and full of whitecaps, and with the angry sky and mountains, I am reminded that I am not living in just some wonderful and beautiful place.  I am living in Alaska.
And Alaska is not only filled with beauty.  It is also filled with angry and brutal nature. 
I am truly aware now, (and understand better now) that whenever something happens like my unexpected trip downhill in my car and walking outside in the cold and dark at 4:50 in the morning only to find an ice-box-vehicle, that I am alone in Alaska. 
Those experiences remind me of how far I live from town.  That bears are beginning to wake.  That the mountains are beautiful but can be dangerous.  That help can be a distance away.  That I can continue to everyday relish in this wonderful place, but that I must not take it for granted......I took this picture sometime over the last day or so, but honestly cannot remember where or when.  

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great look at Juneau. The pictures show another side of the beauty of the place.
    I really like the sculpture by Ed Way, he is very talented.
    As always, I enjoyed the pictures, and the narrative.

    I love ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh boy....The Red Dog Saloon, been there done that a few times

    Hang in there, your learning...whats coming up next is worth it...spring,summer & fall in SE Alaska is very rewarding...my 20th season coming up

    Dave..

    ReplyDelete
  4. keep spray bottle of windshield wash the kind with de-icer in it, in the house to spray doors/locks and windshield with when car is covered in ice! it does work. Spring and summer are com'n...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much to for reading, for commenting, and for the good suggestions.

    20th season? I can understand why! It's a beautiful place.

    Spray bottle of deicer? Got it. Hopefully I'll be better prepared next time! :-)

    LC.........I miss you.

    ReplyDelete