Friday, March 12, 2010

Beauty Within Arms Reach

It started snowing while I was driving to work this morning, and continued to snow hard all day long.  By mid-afternoon the temperature had climbed a few degrees above freezing, which thankfully helped to improve the condition of the roads. 
My car is front wheel drive, and I have driven fairly slowly and carefully this entire week as I have run into both snow and ice.  The car seems to do fine in this kind of weather as long as I keep my head.
On the drive home from work today there was a lot of snow throughout the Douglas, Juneau and Valley areas.  There was surprisingly almost no snow at all in Auke Bay, and then (surprisingly again)  a good amount of snow Out the Road.  There is no apparent rhyme or reason to the weather patterns in this area, and I have learned to travel through different areas and just accept the weather as it comes at me.
Once I pulled off Glacier Highway, the back roads were a mess, and my driveway was very slick.  I got the car turned around, but they are calling for another 6 inches of snow tonight, more tomorrow and then a start of a thaw on Sunday when the temps get up around 40 degrees.  I am hoping that the predictions are correct because if it snows a whole lot and doesn't melt I don't think I will be able to get my car up some of these hills on Monday......
Right now I don't really care.  I have food.  I have heat.  I have a phone and cable and internet.  I have wine coolers.  Everything a girl needs to hunker down for the weekend in the winter in Alaska!
Well not quite.  LC would be a nice friend to hunker down with for the weekend in the winter in Alaska.  Someday soon...............someday soon.
The snow is beautiful.  I borrowed snow shoes a couple of weeks ago, but was not sure if I would have a chance to try them out.  Tomorrow I will try out snow shoes for the first time.  It should be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to giving it a shot. 
This weekend I will snow shoe.  And mountain bike.  And walk in the country in the beautiful snow.  And each evening I will curl up on the couch and stay warm.

Some pictures taken of the roads, driveway and walkway around my house, and a couple of pictures taken out the windows - of the beautiful scenery that is within arms' reach for me now.

2 comments:

  1. The snow is very pretty, very peaceful.
    Each area around Juneau seems to have it's own personality, and that personality changes drasticly with the weather.

    I'm wondering why the font size is different today.....did you change the settings????

    Enjoy the coolers, and the snow shoeing.

    Love ya Doll,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be safe and stay alert out there...

    (Blogger is having some difficulties AGAIN I see.)

    ReplyDelete