Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sucker Patch


This is the same boat harbor that LC and I visited last weekend, when it was beautifully sunny and warm outside.  The sky was blue on that day, the water was gorgeous, and people were out in short sleeves fishing, boating, walking, loving the opportunity to be outside.
The weather was very very different on this visit, but I look at the picture above and I realize that there is an untamed, rough-around-the-edges beauty about it.  I like this picture....
Today is the third straight day of rain, but by the end of the day the skies were just beginning to clear a bit.  Maybe.
When we were both on the ferry Columbia, on the way home together from Ketchikan almost two weeks ago now, LC and I saw a small blue patch in the sky and someone called it a "sucker patch". 
We looked at the woman and asked curiosly what a sucker patch was.  It is that one small blue patch in the sky that suckers you in and makes you believe that the weather will clear. 
Oh look!!  There's blue sky!!!  It's gonna be nice out!!!..............I have fallen for it time after time after time since arriving in Juneau.  
Yup. Sucker patch indeed. :-)

Weather watching and weather guessing is a favorite Juneau pastime.  Someone from work said to me the other day that by Friday there was only a 20% chance of rain in the forecast.  "That means it's going to be sunny" he said.  Such is weather forecast interpretation in Juneau. 
I met my Mountain Boy at Statter Harbor in Auke Bay after work today.   And we walked in the drizzle - talking, wandering, winding down before thinking about heading home.
We watched these two eagles fly in circles around the harbor a couple of times together before landing.  They are obviously mated together, and stayed on these posts for the entire 45 minutes or so that were there - resting on their high perches and all the while talking with each other.
As much as I love taking pictures when everything is obviously calm, beautiful and blue, there is something very serene about these almost black and white pictures - this harbor, as with every trail, park, beach, mountain I have seen since I arrived, looks different to me every single time I see it. 
Another rainy day, but the harbor was very calm.
I returned to the craziness of my workplace this week.  Still doing two jobs, as I have for the past two and a half of the five and a half months I have worked here.  Still trying (and mostly, but not always completely succeeding) to hold everything together until we can hire another manager.
Thankfully we are almost to that point. 
My hope is that soon my work will return to a state of normal disorganization, instead of the precarious and sometimes overwhelming disorganization of the past while. 

My Mountain Boy has been left to his own devices during the days this week, and has taken a few days to rest and a few days to explore.  He is beginning to find his way around, and knowing him as I do, soon he will know where things are better than I do. 
This weekend we plan on taking in some of Juneau's Gold Rush Days over on Douglas Island:

After leaving Statter Harbor we stopped briefly close to the ferry terminal and then Lena Beach on the way home.  More pictures for another day........
Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think. ~ Robert Henri

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy the pictures. I'm looking forward to learning to live in a cloudy wetter environment... I hope!

    Thanks for the ferry stories, I'll try to get one of those chairs for my sleeping bag when I get on the ferry in three weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete