Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Different....But Good Different


Jamie's two favorite spots in the house are being curled up on the couch, and being curled up at the end of the bed.....
Over the past week we have unloaded two trucks, visited with LC's brother Gary before he headed home to Minnesota, gone to and explored some of my favorite places in Juneau, and have begun to get used to living close to each other again.
My Mountain Boy and my dog have been a tight duo over the past five months down in Tennessee. 
And I have gotten very used to living alone. 
I'm not used to the dog hair, and the noise, and the dishes and the trash, and the seemingly non-stop cooking and eating.
It will take me some time to get used to living with others around me again.  It's different.  Not bad different.  Just different.  Some of it is unsettling and some of it is very very nice.
Gary and LC out at Eagle Beach Out the Road.  I think that this beach has become LC's favorite place that he has seen so far.  I fully understand why.......

We have been to the End of the Road twice since my Mountain Boy arrived in Juneau.
The first time we were there the weather was very cloudy and cool, and we did not have to share the beach with anyone else. 
We went for a drive a couple of days ago and the weather was very warm and sunny.  There was a lot of people, and a lot of noise - picnicers, fishermen, ATV drivers, kids running and playing, motorcycle riders.........I liked it better when the weather was cloudy and cool. 
I have not done any real exercise for over two weeks now, and feel a strong need to head out onto either trails or go up into the mountains. 
This skeleton was sitting exactly where I pictured it, and I have to assume that it washed up on the rocks when the tide came in. 
I am not sure exactly what it is, but think it may be a dolphin skeleton (?) based on the shape of the tail.
Taken at one of the overlooks on the way home from driving Out the Road to the End.
Since my Mountainn Boy arrived in Juneau we have seen a bear, eagles, otters, seals, whales, ravens. 
He is enjoying these experiences as much as I have greatly enjoyed them over these past months. 
And I am enjoying sharing these experiences with him.
Gary and LC at Rayco Gun Shop in the Valley.........
LC being his happy inquiring self in a type of store that is so familiar to him.........
Amalga Harbor.
The last time I visited this place the tide was low, and I could walk easily from one point to the other.....
A very beautiful and very peaceful place close to home.
There is a small seasonal restaurant open right now down at Statter Harbor in Auke Bay called The Bite Shop.
They make burgers from scratch, have awesome fish and chips, and tables situated both inside and out.
We have eaten at this little summer restaurant a couple of times over the past week, while sitting outside enjoying the day.
When it is sunny and warm out, when the eagles and raven are out, and when the water and sky is bright blue and the way-cool boats are heading in and out of the harbor, hanging out at the harbor and walking along the pier is a great way to spend an hour.
I have walked this place many many times alone.  It is strange to finally be able to share it with my guy. 
Another one of those things that feels strange right now......good but very different.
Fishermen young and old standing along the pier enjoying the day.............
After we dropped Gary off at the airport on Sunday, we took a drive over the Mendenhall Glacier.  It was early (about 7am), promising to be another beautiful sunny day, and we took our time enjoying this place while it was dead quiet, and before the bus loads of cruiseship passengers predictably invaded the area.........
LC cleaning and oiling guns on the porch at the house.....
At the End of the Road again on Sunday late afternoon.  This guy had caught this fish from a small boat using only a small rod and reel.  Good stuff.
On the way back to the house we stopped at an overlook for what was supposed to be just a brief reprieve, before moving on.  We ended up sitting on a rock close to the edge of the drop-off for almost an hour, watching the mountains, the birds, the whales, and the fishermen.
There were many many commercial fishing boats sitting in the calm water for the first day of salmon fishing.
This boat was close to where we were sitting, and we watched him lay out his gill net.
We had also been watching two seals swimming happily in the same area, and as were getting ready to leave we caught a glimpse of the boat, one of the seals, and heard sharp voices.......
One of the seals was joyfully swimming around the net eating up as much fish as he could eat.  Such fun to watch this whole thing unfold - the seal swimming in circles and jumping a little out of the water whenever he got himself a fish.  And the fishermen running their boat in circles trying to scare the little guy away!
I can't begin to really describe how much "nature" I have seen since I arrived in Juneau - things I either have never seen before, or have only seen in zoos........

No comments:

Post a Comment