Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mountain Boys' Trip Across Country - Part 1


My Jamie-dog...... 
She was abandoned close to the house and somehow showed up in my yard when I lived out in the country about 7 years ago down in Tennessee.  A few days later, when we realized that she liked where she was, had decided to adopt us, and was not going to leave, we gave her food and water and decided to accept her into our family.
Right after that I took her to the vet, and she threw up all over the back seat of my car.  
And on the few other car rides she has been on over the years, if we did not take food away from her the night before, she continued to get car sick.
One day a few years after she joined my family, after both my sons had left home and after my divorce, my Mountain Boy and I were headed down to a navigation training in North Georgia early in the morning. 
By the time we hit Georgia it was still dark out, we were driving on windy mountain roads, and she proceeded to throw up  (a lot) right in LC's lap while he was driving.  Nope - she hadn't outgrown her car sickness.
I was very worried about her driving across country.  Not so much worried about the food deal, but really worried that it would be a trip that would end up being culmulatively tough on her, maybe get her dehydrated, maybe even end up being life threatening if we could not find a way to keep her body systems stable on the road.  Well.........LC kept her watered, gave her many stop breaks along the way, and only fed her at night.   Trooper that she is, she ended up being just fine the entire way up to Juneau.
She is settling in fine in her new life as an Alaskan dog......so far so good.
These are pictures of the first part of LC's and Garys' and Jamie's trip across country - the flat part, that included part of Tennessee, Kentucky, southern Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, and then Minnesota.  They stayed through Memorial Day at Gary's house in Minnesota before heading west.
LC's truck..........Gary nick-named it the Big Green......
And my truck became known as Sweet Blue......those look like scratches in the side of my truck.  Thankfully it's just reflections of something.  Both the trucks also made it through the trip in one piece.
We really toyed with the idea of selling one of the trucks, and it made the most sense to sell mine because his is a 4 WD. 
But I love my truck, it's paid for, and it will give me the freedom to be able to throw my mountain bike or kayak into the back and go wherever I want, whenever I want.  I wanted that freedom living here in Alaska.  So we kept it. 
They ran into lots of windmills along the way.......
And lots and lots of grassland and farmland........
Chief Navigator across an entire country.........
LC showing distance from the Boondocks........
Gary and James.......
Gary's home in Minnesota........I have never visited his home, but it looks like a very beautiful place.

Gary performed with the Statesmen Quartet for many years:
And now frequently travels and performs with his wife, who is part of a sister act that plays regionally known as Ruby Boots:
They played and sang for LC and I when they came down to Tennessee to visit
Both my Mountain Boy and his brother attended Memorial Day services while still in Minnesota.  I am glad, especially for LC's benefit, that they could do that.   Attending brings him some measure of peace. 
He made fun of me and my supposed foot fetish, by taking a few pictures of his own feet along the way.......
The guys rested up in Minnesota for about four days before continuing on with their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment