Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Random Pictures On A Random Day


I was downtown most of the day today, and took a bunch of random pictures along the way.
There were three cruiseships in port - one of them a block long - and a huge number of tourists wandering around Juneau.
During lunch I wandered among our visitors - snapping pictures randomly, wandering in and out of stores, all the while talking to my Mountain Boy and my oldest son on the phone.
My Mountain Boy sounds very happy, rested and having a great time.  He is eager to get on the ferry on Friday, but also liking the quiet that the hotel outside of Bellingham is bringing him.  Apparently my Jamie-dog is winning hearts all over the place, as dogs in general, and my cute dog in particular is apt to do.
I have been worried about trucks and two old guys and a dog travelling all over the countryside, and I am so gratified - and so very glad - that they all arrived in Washington State safely, in good shape and in good spirits.
Some downtown pictures......
I was parked close to the museum, and for some reason that I can't think of, I have not been into this place yet.  Tonight, on the spur of the moment (I say that a lot it seems...) I walked over to the museum after work intending to explore inside and see what it had to offered. 
The grounds outside, that I walked through at least twice every day when I was staying at the hotel, have turned into a beautiful small park with the changing seasons.  How could I not have noticed before now how pretty it was??  I don't know. 
Another reminder to keep trying to remember to "see' things.  To not just pass by. 
A reminder, as tough as it has been sometimes over the past very-busy and stressful month, to remember why I came to Alaska. 
Remember to see remember to see remember to feel Karin..........
The outside of the Alaska State Museum.
I walked in and immediately saw this beautiful piece of native artwork to the left of the lobby.  To the right was a huge stuffed brown bear, and in the center was the Earth, floating in black space. 
I did not go in after all.  It was 5pm and the museum closed at 5:30pm.  And just from the little I saw I realized that it would take me at least a couple of hours to do this exciting place justice. 
I walked out of the museum deciding that I would wait until LC arrives, and we will go experience it together.
More information on the museum:
A very large metal sculpture on the grounds next to the museum.  Same thing - I have walked by this sculpture probably hundreds of times over the past five months and have never really looked at it closely before.
Also after work I drove down to the natural area that includes the Skaters Cabin, West Glacier Trail,  
Mendenhall Lake, Mendenhall Glacier and the beautiful, rugged surrounding mountains still showing signs of snow at higher elevations.
I did not plan on venturing far for a number of reasons that were mostly related to a tiring work day and my Mountain Boys' "short-timer disease" - him worried about something bad happening to me when he is so close to us being back together again........so staying closer to home for the duration.
On the way back to my car though, I saw an open gravel travel on the opposite side of the road that I had not noticed before, and I excitedly wandered down this unexpected trail curious to see what it was all about. 
Within just a minute I found a sign indicating that I was on Tolch Rock Trail and that it led to Tolch Rock -  a large boulder desposited by the glacier along the side of the trail.
I walked further and the trail changed to dirt and roots, and became more interesting to explore.  It split a little further up and impulsively I took the left trail, crossing this small bridge.
LC is right - I get very excited when I find unexpected trails.  I continued for a while and realized a few things as I was travelling on foot:
1.  This trail would be great for mountain biking - small rises, roots and rocks to navigate, somewhat challenging but not "expert level" challenging.  In short - challening but doable.  I definately want to ride it at the first opportunity.  For all the riding I have done since I arrived in Juneau almost all of it has been on the roads.
2.  I had no idea where this trail was heading, how long it was, whether it came out somewhere where I could walk a road back to my car, or if I had to do a turn-around and walk back the way I had come.
3.  This was summer, I had just seen a sign on the road cautioning visitors on wolf sightings in the area, there was no-one else on the trail, and I was not carrying any kind of defense against wolves or bears with me.
So I reluctantly turned back and headed for the road, with intentions of exploring these trails at another time.
A scene from the road.....
And one more beautiful mountain and glacier picture before heading for the house.
GLACIERS AT THE BEGINNING OF TIME
By:  Pat Grantt
In the time of ice and winter, wind and snow were all that came
Glaciers ruled their own dominion covering all within their range
Comes a time of subtle warming, shifting ice gouged out a path
Water followed in its footsteps changing landscapes as it passed.
Fleeing upward to the mountains leaving most things from their past.
Haida people fled in terror to escape the water's wrath.
On the edge of the new land mass ocean height began to climb
Watching gods wept tears of sorrow adding salt that made it brine.
Easing humans in their mourning kindly gods bequeathed a boon.
Placed an island in the ocean where a nation would soon bloom.
Thanking spirits for their counsel Haida people worked with trees.
Setting poles along the shoreline carved with gods that they had pleased.
Written in those grains of cedar is the history of this land.
Voiced in language that flowed freely from the work of carving hands.
They still stand around that island giving meaning to old worlds.
Part of folklore slowing waning lest we care to save their words.

2 comments:

  1. I met your Mountain Boy, his brother and your doggy today... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He told me! Good deal. Glad you guys had an opportunity to meet.

    ReplyDelete