Thursday, July 22, 2010

Random Pictures From The Last Week

I had a meeting over on Douglas South the other day, and while I was heading to the meeting I saw these two boys riding their unicycles down the road. 
I pulled the car over, walked over to the boys and asked if they would mind if I took their picture.  They happily obliged, showing off their great riding skills for me, smiling and riding on a quiet side street close to Savviko Park......
The house behind the brown one is a house I almost rented about six weeks after I moved up here to Juneau.
The house is owned by a lady who works for Fish and Game.  Inside it is a very nice house - a normal house unlike the weird and quirky cabin we now rent Out the Road.
I stewed over this house for a couple of weeks because I had seen some pretty awful houses and duplexes up to that point, and inside it was nice and I was worried that I would not be able to find anything better.
But it was right on top of the other houses in the neighborhood and had no yard to speak of. 
I tried to picture me, my Mountain Boy and my dog in that house, trying hard to make it work.  It was only a couple of minutes from Sandy Beach and the Treadwell Mine Trail and the boat harbor and it accepted pets..........
But I couldn't make it work in my mind, and I reluctantly let it go.
And still I continued to stew for weeks after that, wondering if I had made a mistake.
Happily, I found this cabin about a month later.
Fun loving boys and a nice picture.
 
After my meeting I spent a couple of minutes beside the water snapping more pictures.
As it has been for many many weeks now, it was cloudy and drizzling rain, but I managed to take a couple of nice pictures - of the Juneau-Douglas Bridge, and two of the three cruiseships that were in port over in Juneau that morning.
I know almost nothing about plants. 
Pink flowers in downtown Juneau, which contains many many wonderful and beautiful landscaped areas..........
And bright red berries (not edible) that are now so prolific on bushes all over this region....
Downtown Juneau contains many many locally owned and independant year-round businesses (as well as the cruiseship owned tourist stores that will be boarded up sometime in September and will not reopen again until next May). 
It is a very pretty town - narrow streets, flower baskets hanging from all of the lamp-posts, brightly colored flags containing iconic Alaskan symbols, this beautiful clock, old buildings that are well maintained and show signs of its previous mining history, towering mountains in the background, the harbor.  I love to walk around this town.  I hate to both drive and park around this town......
One of the ever-present "big happy Alaskan dogs" you see everywhere in this town.
And the entrance to a small park that contains a beautiful metal fish sculpture on the outside walls, and benches, landscaped areas and a small and lovely water fountain inside its' gates.
A very narrow side street leading up to the back hills of the city.
The mountains are back there........
A statue of a native Alaskan.  It is even more beautiful when you see it in person.
Out in the Valley is Rotary Park.  This square is a memorial dedicated by the Juneau Rotary Club, to those who died during the attacks of 9-11.
The pathway around the flag is made up of bricks purchased by individuals and groups within the city, in dedication to the victims of the attacks that day.  A sad day.  A sad place. 
A beautiful and quiet place in the center of a high density residential area.
This park also contains a childrens play park, green space, a small lake containing ducks and other water birds, and is surrounded by mountains.
Statter Harbor in Auke Bay, at the end of the day.........
These pictures were taken at the End of the Road, in Echo Cove......
An eagle perched comfortably, high in a pine tree.
I loved this beautifully shaped little rowboat...
This couple were fishing while we were out there, and catching a ton of fish.
I watched them for quite a while scooping the fish they caught almost non-stop into a net. 
But even more interesting was watching this couple take their boat often from place to place throughout the cove.  The woman in the front never moved when the boat was in motion, and I watched them for a long time completely expecting the woman to take a dive into the water at any moment.
No such luck.........
While walking at Statter Harbor tonight in the very cold and wet weather, I took these pictures of........whatever the heck this thing is.
It looks like some kind of submersible - but it also has an outboard motor, and wheels (fairly big wheels) on it underwater.
I have no idea what it is, what it is used for, how long it has been here.  It brings only questions, but regardless I thought it was very very interesting........
And what's with the cannon???
The Hot Bite is a seasonal restaurant that is open from May through September down at Statter Harbor, and it has become our favorite restaurant.  Close to home, decent prices, good food, right beside the harbor.
We can eat outside at the tables they have set up when the weather is warm and dry, or sit inside at the tables when the weather (as it was today) is cold and wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment