Monday, July 5, 2010

Life's Short - Go Kayaking Naked

July 5.  Another cold, grey and drizzling day.  Is the sun ever going to come out again??
My Mountain Boy, my Jamie-dog and I went out to the Skaters' Cabin area on Mendenhall Lake (across the lake from the glacier) this morning.  I was really wanting to kayak sometime this weekend, but this weekend is almost done, so today was the day.
We used to live close to lakes and rivers down in middle Tennessee and for a while I did not have any way to do paddling training.  Canoeing especially is an important component of adventure racing, and a few years ago I was ecstatic to find this recreational kayak for $150 at a yard sale.  
It only weighs about 40 pounds so I can easily maneuver it in and out of my truck alone, and at 9 feet it fits easily into my extended bed.
Right after I got the kayak I put the Calvin and Hobbs sticker on the front of it.
Life is short.  Go kayaking naked..........
I actually used it in a few races when I was racing as a solo, but for the most part I have just used this kayak in all kinds of weather when I wanted to get out onto the water.  I have definately gotten my little bit of money out of this boat......
Short sleeved tech shirt, long sleeved tech shirt, insulated waterproof pants, tech socks, waterproof goretex shoes, dry top, fleece hat, lifejacket, whistle, knife, insulated waterproof paddling gloves......paddling in the cold (in the summer in Alaska) is a drawn out affair where wearing the right clothng is important not only for paddling comfort but also for protection in the event you pitch your boat.
I excitedly got geared up to hit the water.  It had been more than six months since I paddled, and now here I was getting ready to kayak at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau Alaska.  Too cool.
I tried to talk LC into coming out with me, but the rain, drizzle, cold air temps and very cold water temperature was just not appealing to him.
He helped me unload the boat, took pictures of me gearing up and out on the water, and then enjoyed a walk with Jamie while I was out there.  Again - too cool.
I have a 5-piece kayak paddle that I have used in many races over the past couple of years - breaks down small enough to be able to stow in my pack between race legs, larger blades, extremely lightweight.  I love it for all of those reasons, paid almost as much for that paddle as I did for my rec kayak (used), but love this two piece paddle more in reality. 
It was a cheap LL Bean paddle that I bought way-back-when early in my racing life, and it has seen me through some hairy paddles all over the eastern part of the country. 
I did not want to get too close, but really enjoyed seeing these small icebergs up close and personal, rather than simply from the shore as I have been doing for the past six months..........
I have to say that I had an AMAZING time enjoying the scenery from the different vantage point of being on the water.  I felt in tune with my surroundings.  It was quiet, it was peaceful, as long as I kept moving (even slowly) I was warm enough, and I loved every minute of it.
When I first set off from shore I left my non-water-proof camera with LC, but after being out for less than a minute decided that I would take my chances.  I turned the boat around, headed back to shore, grabbed my camera that was double zip-locked, and headed back out hoping that I could keep it dry enough to keep it safe.
After stopping a couple of times in the lake, carefully taking off both winter paddling gloves, then carefully taking the camera out of the bags, then carefully retracing those same steps in reverse, I realized that bringing my camera was a pain in the butt.........no sudden moves, don't lose the paddle, don't drop a glove, don't drop the camera.
I'll have to figure out a better system to more easily access the camera while on the water. 
Too many great picture taking opportunities not to......

The water was cold and dead calm. 
As I got closer and closer to the point (the bulk of the glacier was located in the cove on the other side of the point), I found myself paddling among many many small chunks of crystal clear ice - more chunks of the glacier, and I could hear them banging up against the bottom of the boat.
And at this point the water moved from very calm to continuous ripples.  Not a huge concern, other than my being even more aware to not make any sudden moves.
I was close enough to shore to be able to easily enough make a swim for it.  But I really really did not want to swim in that water as cold as it was.
Beautiful. 
I wanted to paddle even closer, but did a quick calculation and it would have taken me another 10 minutes to get to it, a few minutes to take some pictures, another 10 minutes to get back to where I was at this point.....
I was not sure how long I had been on the water, but knew that my Mountain Boy and dog were probably waiting, and I did not want to extend my trip for another half hour.  Another time..........
If you click on this picture it will enlarge and you can see a tandem kayak on the far right of this iceberg.  Just to give some sense of how large this piece of calved glacier is......
The Skaters Cabin area is a very popular put-in sight for outfitters who spend their summers in a variety of kayaks, rafts, and multi-person canoes, paddling cruiseship tourists on Mendenhall Lake and River.
My Mountain Boy and Jamie-dog took a walk on part of West Glacier Trail while I was out on the water. 
There are regular pull-offs along the way, and LC took pictures of an eagle sitting high in the trees.
When I came to Juneau for the first time last November, a lady brought me out to the Visitor's Center at the glacier.  Nobody was around, it was cold, grey and cloudy like it was today, and I saw eagles in the wild for the very first time.  She spotted them much faster than I did, and she told me to "look for the cotton balls".
I had an outstanding morning. 
It was SO good to be on the water.  To be in my kayak.  To know that my truck was parked in the parking lot, my guy and dog were close by.  That we were all together again.
We are finding our way back to each other after being apart for far too long.  It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment