Saturday, July 10, 2010

Eaglecrest

The past week has been a busy, crazy, sometimes frustrating, sometimes extremely satisfying week.
After months of craziness and seemingly endless putting out of fires at work, I finally had the opportunity I had been waiting for, to communicate to my staff how great of a job they are all doing. 
That is big.  It is very big. 
And even though the disruption of being short-staffed at the management level still exists, and unfortunately will exist for a while longer, everyone is beginning to learn how to work as a team.  Professionally it was a week of big disappointments and big satisfactions......

My Mountain Boy and I have had trouble with the pump underneath the house that moves water from the storage tanks to the house.  It has begun shutting off unexpectedly, meaning no water to the house, meaning trips under the house to adjust the pump and get it working again. 
The homeowner apparently has had problems in the past also, and it is still undetermined whether or not the issue is the need to make continued adjustments until the problem is fixed, or whether or not it is going to need professional work.  We'll have to see I guess.....

After a pretty cold and miserable long weekend last weekend, the weather turned outstandingly sunny and warm for a couple of days this week, and LC and I took the opportunity to be outside, staying out at the beach late into the evening both nights.
For two intrinsically anti-social people, we greatly enjoy each others' company.....

We are still short of money after having spent a good deal to get my family back together again.  That situation will ease soon, but is unsettling none-the-less in the meantime.......

This morning we woke up late to clouds and heavy rain.  
We went into Juneau to go to a community yard sale being held at Centennial Hall.  We were looking for some specific things - a weed eater, a small electric broom and a crockpot.  All things we had in Tennessee, all things we sold, all things we need to replace.
Unfortunately we had no luck in any of those departments but ended up buying things we didn't really need - me another fleece sweater (how many fleeces does one woman really need??), a bunch of movies (all with little plot and a good amount of gratuitous violence - which we both like), and a free candle.
We did not need any of those things really, but spent less than $10 for everything, so "need" was not part of the equation.
The weed eater we will have to buy new and buy soon.  Crockpots and electric brooms we can search for at yard sales as time provides.
Regardless, we spent a nice 45 minutes or so wandering around the tables looking at people's junk that inevitably was slated to become somone elses treasure during the course of the day.

A quick trip to Bullwinkles:
for great hot roast beef sandwiches and a salad bar, and we were heading across the bridge and out North Douglas.
I had only driven out as far as a point just past the boat ramp, and my Mountain Boy wanted to drive to the End of the Road.
The end of the road is not too far past the boat ramp. 
We were both disappointed to learn this, and to learn that the drive to the "End" was actually so short.
There has only been twice since I arrived in Juneau (6 months ago today) that I have greatly wanted to drive.  And drive.  And drive.  Maybe to another town.  Maybe to another state.  Maybe to the coast.  Maybe half way across the country.
Of course that is not possible in Juneau. 
The first time I felt constrained by the limited road system was in March when I was feeling extremely lost, alone and restless and drove as far Out the Road as I could on a cold and cloudy weekend day.  It was not far enough.
Today was the second time......

After stopping at a couple of pulloffs along N Douglas Highway, we drove up to the Eaglecrest Ski Resort.
I love, absolutely love, this area.
I have been up there three times - once to see fireworks, once to ski, and once with the local hiking group and we took a wonderful long hike into the mountains when the ski resort had closed but there was still much snow left in the mountains.
Douglas Island mountains are wild, rugged and extensive, and during the winter and spring I managed to hike in them a few times, loving every moment I was out there.
My Mountain Boy had not been up to Eaglecrest and I was very happy to travel up there with him early this afternoon in the rain and clouds and fog.
I have never seen this place when it was not covered in snow.  It is very green, very beautiful and feels very isolated.
Eaglecrest Ski Resort is owned and operated by the city.  The facility is reasonably priced for a ski resort, and greatly loved by the residents of this town.
After having been up there a few times over the winter I can understand why.
I hesitated to ski this past winter because I was still recovering from knee surgery.  I hope to do more next winter now that my knee seems to be doing so well.

Ski lifts at rest for another few months.......
And a picture of one of the hills I climbed in the snow during my hike a few months ago.  Lots and lots of climbing before it eventually levels out.  Then walking while completely enveloped in mountains.  I loved it.
Mountains and meadows everywhere, and multiple signs of a dormant ski resort..........
There is a zipline along the trail that contains lines of many levels.  I have rapelled, rock climbed and ascended many many times over the years, including doing all of these at the Via Ferrata in West Virginia during two races:
but have never had the chance to do a zip line. 
We stopped on the way back down to North Douglas Highway at this little wooden trail.
And once more at this stream that was on both sides of the road.  Very fun to go exploring new places...........
With a full morning and part of the afternoon full of adventure behind her, my dog was a tired girl.
The area around Eaglecrest - actually the whole of Douglas North is rugged and feels very untamed.  It is an extremely compelling place to me.
I have not figured out yet how to explore all of the trails on this island that I want to explore. 
I have not found anyone socially yet who wants to go with me. 
My Mountain Boy has a messed up knee and with surgery will still require rehab time.
The place is covered up with bears in the summer and even without the bears, going alone into back country is not wise.  I have gone out alone quite a few times but........
I do not have an answer or a solution to this yet........

No comments:

Post a Comment