Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Unspeakably Beautiful


Have you ever been wound so tight that you can't slow your brain or your body down even when you want to?  I've been feeling like that for the past couple of weeks now. 
It's been coming and going over these past weeks, but is getting harder and harder to brush off.
It's starting to take its' toll.  I sleep but don't feel rested when I wake up.  I can slow things down for a while if I am outside, if I do something physical, if I concentrate very very hard on walking slower, breathing slower, thinking slower.   But it takes a lot of concentration.
I've been this way a few times over the years.  I recognize all the signs.  The faster breathing, walking, thinking.  The sore shoulders and neck that get so tight no amount of stretching works it out......

There were four cruise ships in town today, and the city was very busy.  Buses, and street trolleys, and loads of cars vying for both driving and parking space in the busy, narrow downtown Juneau streets. 
I was at another all-day training day downtown today and during lunch walked along the boardwalk close to Marine Park.  Ships coming in, float planes both landing and taking off, the tramway climbing Mt Roberts, small boats taking visitors on a quick channel tour, helicoptors, and lots of people.  The place was very busy.
Somehow the organized chaos of four cruiseships and thousands of slow moving, easy going and curious visitors were not a distraction for me today though.
When I woke up this morning it was pouring  with rain outside.  The weather forecast had called for a good chances of rain and I assumed that it would be a grey and ugly day.
But by the time I drove from Out the Road to the Valley on the way to work I could see some blue sky trying to push its way through the clouds. 
Surprisingly, by lunch it was a beautiful sunny day, and by late in the day there was not one cloud in the sky.
Joyous and wonderful summer weather had prevailed, and the boardwalk was filled with people doing as I was doing - watching all of the action on the water. 
There were also people laying on the grass and on the benches soaking up the warmth of the sun, eating and laughing at a sidewalk restaurant, taking pictures of the mountains and of each other, reading books and countless other outdoor activities and non-activities.  It was all very nice and quiet and enjoyable, and people were happy and content.
Although I still love this town the most in the winter when it is quiet and locals (including me after all of 4 1/2 months) do not have to share it with the masses, I really enjoy visiting downtown during tourist season. 
The city develops a new, very different and sometimes exciting rhythm when the sun stays out and when it welcomes people from around the world. 
It was a long and busy day today, it is late, and there is not much time or energy for blogging and posting pictures tonight.
Just know that this most beautiful place is unspeakably beautiful when the sky turns blue.........

No comments:

Post a Comment