Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mt Roberts and Beyond (Some More)

After climbing back down from higher snow-covered elevations I walked a short trail closer to the Visitor's Center that paralleled the channel.  There were many people on this trail and sitting at the two overlooks. 
This short trail was more accessible for young families and older people, and I enjoyed watching these two generations so obviously loving their visit to Mt Roberts.
Walking this trail, and seeing old and young sitting at picnic benches eating the lunches they had brought with them also reminded me that I was getting very hungry.
There are no words adequate enough to describe how wonderful this place is.  I really enjoyed my solitary visit in the middle of a cloudy, cold and isolated winter day in February.  And I really enjoyed my visit yesterday surrounded by warmth, sunshine and visitors from both Juneau and from around the world.........for very different reasons.
One of two oversized stuffed animals standing on a staircase inside the Visitors Center.  I took one last walk through the center before deciding that I would wait to eat until I got back down to sea level. 
An elaborate system of cables and pulleys keeps two tramways running non-stop from morning until night.
Back down in the city I wandered in and out of a number of tourist shops.  Not really paying close attention to anything in particular, since it was all typical tourist items that you would find in any typical tourist town. 
More than anything I was just slowly making my way through the city and back to my car, while at the same time still enjoying the warm day and trying to decide what I wanted to eat because "hungry" was quickly turning to "very hungry"
There are many many of these kinds of oversized "take a picture with......" stuffed animals located throughout town.  They make me smile with their fun tackiness.
More tulips outside the convention center.....
By the time I arrived back at my car I had decided that I needed a burger and fries at the Booyah Grill in Auke Bay.  I was tired and hungry.  And it had been a very very wonderful day.
These pictures were taken at Fritz Cove on the way to Auke Bay.
This man had just caught a fish and was taking it off the hook, while his dog ran around excitedly following the fish-action.  One of those big friendly Alaska dogs I talked about a few weeks ago..........
The Booyah Grill is located in a strip building right next door to the UAS Bookstore and across the road from the harbor.  You park in the back, and all I can say is that it is a completely no-frills place to visit and to eat.
The restaurant portion has no decor what-so-ever - generic tables and generic chairs and that's it.
The bar portion of the building is not much better - animal skins and animal heads on two walls
However, the food is very good, and both the bar and the restaurant contain walls of windows that provide sweeping views of the harbor, mountains, boats, cove.  I don't know if I would spend money on decor either, when there are views like this right across the road.............

No comments:

Post a Comment