Thursday, May 6, 2010

Playing Tourist

Yesterday brought yet another cruise ship to Juneau.  This one was bigger than the previous days' ship, and brought a lot more tourists to the city.  There will be at least one new ship arriving to the city every day until September.  I can only imagine what this town must look like on those occasions when five ships are in port at the same time......
When I was in Juneau for my job interview back in November, I walked around downtown late in the afternoon.  Winter was just beginning so the days were getting short already.  But even at 4:30pm I could not believe that half of the stores were empty, and that almost all other stores were already closed.   I also remember in November seeing signs in many windows that read "Alaskan owned". 
I did not know why those signs were in windows at the time, why so many stores were completely empty, and why so many others were closed up so early in the evening.
Of course, since that time I have learned what it means to be a tourist town.  That many of the stores that were closed were that way because they were run during the summer by the cruise ship lines, and by November the last ship was long gone.
Those stores that remained were owned and operated through the whole year by Juneauites, trying to make a living in their hometowns.
When I went to a downtown book store last week to pick up my ticket for a whale watching cruise, I took a look around the store, and had a very nice and lengthy conversation with the owner.
There is definately something to be said for taking the time to not only support local businesses, but to also enjoy the unique things they have to sell.  
Fred Meyers and Wal-mart and Costco have their place.  But so do the unique shops and boutiques that you can find in downtown Juneau. 
Next Wednesday someone I know from Tennessee will be arriving in Juneau on one of these ships.
When I was getting ready to leave TN many people said the same thing "oh we're going to have to come visit you up in Alaska!"  I never actually thought that it would happen.
It will be nice to see her.  Nice to see a familiar face when I have spent the almost-last-four-months around only new things and new people.  I have begun to make a life here - a home, personal belongings and furnishings, getting to know people, find my way around, start a new job......
A life that is starting to become familiar and comfortable, but a life that is still new. 
Seeing this lady will allow me to share some of Juneau with her.  And seeing her will also allow me to revisit a part of my old life, that still (at this point) feels like my "real life".
The Mt Roberts Tramway in action.  I climbed Mt Roberts over the winter.  A steep climb that began on mossy trails in mild weather at sea level, and continued until I had reached an overlook where the tramway stops.  By the time I arrived at that place it was freezing cold, and I was walking in thigh deep snow.  But the view of the channel and Douglas Island was beautiful.
The trails continue beyond the Tramway stop, but I could not go any further.  The snow was too deep and I did not have snow shoes to explore some more.
When my Mountain Boy arrives next month we will have to take the tramway, see the views in warmer weather, maybe eat lunch at the restaurant that was closed in February but will be open now.
And we will have to go explore the trails that I couldn't explore a few months ago......
When you walk in town now every store is open and full of.........stuff.  Perfume, furs, jewellry, lots of t-shirts and sweathshirts and Juneau Alaska coffee mugs.  There are sidewalk restaurants that have sprung up like dandelions in the grass.  And there are many tourist buses, and sidewalks full of people with cameras around their necks and who are loaded down with bags of souvenirs.
The season is very early.  It was windy and cold yesterday when these pictures were taken.  The number of people and buses will continue to grow.
Sometime this summer I want to walk downtown on a sunny Saturday when the dock is full of ships and the sidewalks are full of people.  Just to experience the masses from all over the world.  And maybe to actually play tourist, visit the stores, and just enjoy this unusual period in Juneau. 
Then I'll wait until the end of the season, when stores are trying to clear out their merchandise, and buy Christmas presents for my sons.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell the city is really cranking up and getting ready for the tourist.
    The Norwegian Star is huge.....how are they gonna dock four or five of those at the same time???
    Good post Doll, I Love Ya,
    MB/LC

    ReplyDelete