Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mendenhall Glacier Beautiful Beyond Words


There is a temperature gauge outside the University of Alaska Southeast Bookstore at Auke Bay that I passed on the way home from work today. 
It read 81 degrees.
On the way home I stopped at Mendenhall Glacier.
Whenever I have come to this place in the past I have always focused on the glacier, stopped in at the Vistors' Center, walked the demanding trails on both sides of Mendenhall Lake......
Today I walked along a short gravel trail for about 1/2 mile and reached a raging waterfall. 
Today I took a picture of the bright blue portion of glacier that had just calved a few minutes before I arrived.  Someone at the waterfall excitedly told me about the experience and I am sorry that I missed it.
Today I took pictures of the sandy beach, and the greening mountains and the blue sky that goes on forever when it is this clear.
Today the day - this place - was beautiful beyond words......
My Mountain Boy has arrived in Minnesota and will spend at least a few days there visiting family.
He is doing fine.  His brother is doing fine.  My dog has not thrown up yet.  The kayaks have not fallen off the trucks and landed on the interstate yet.
So far and so good.......

No comments:

Post a Comment