Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The First Day Of A Long Tourist Season

I was driving down Egan Drive this morning on the way to work, and as I got closer to town I came around a corner and all of a sudden I saw this.  The first cruise ship arrived in Juneau this morning.
I knew that it was due, but it was still stunning to see it.   It seemed so large, and was so astonishingly "new" to the landscape, that it still caught me off guard.
I was in town for a few hours attending meetings and after I was done I walked across to the boardwalk to take some pictures of this cruiseship.  There were tourists in town snapping pictures of their own, and as I walked along the water I watched them and enjoyed their enjoyment of this beautiful town.
It was all very nice and quiet. 
Tourists waiting to take a plane ride
And some from the Coast Guard busy cleaning on another beautiful, warm and partially sunny day.
Yesterday, on the way home from work I stopped, as I often do, at Auke Bay Harbor.
A young girl who arrived at the harbor around the same time that I did, and who spent a long time sitting on the rocks looking out over the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment