Saturday, September 18, 2010

Perserverance Trail - Part 2

One of these days very soon, and before the weather finally turns into late fall weather, I want to walk Mt Juneau Trail.
I have read and heard that it is not only very beautiful but also very steep.
Before the weather turns into late fall weather.........
Today we walked to the Perserverance/Granite Creek intersection before turning back..........
All kinds of beautiful.
And a hike that I think I really needed to do.
For the first time in weeks I felt connected again.  I did feel the mountains, and I did feel the trails, and I did feel the trees and the sun and the river. 
And that is a good thing...........
I found red fall leaves on this small bush today.
Worthy of a picture.........
I think that my Mountain Boy enjoyed this place just as much as I did........
And so did Jamie.............
These are all pictures taken on the return trip.
The sun was much higher in the sky by then, and the 3000 foot mountains that were on all sides of us cast less shadow.............
On this section of trail, only about 15 minutes from the truck as we were heading back, we ran into a young woman being walked by two very large and unfriendly dogs.
She could barely control them - could barely hold them back from charging at first me, and then at Jamie - and actually had to wrap both leashes completely around her waist to stop them from lunging at us.
Eventually we all crossed paths with each other and headed off in separate directions.
When we passed each other the young woman was very upset, having to use all of her strength to hold her dogs at bay.
But LC and I were both stunned that such a small person would think it wise to bring such uncontrolled and uncontrollable dogs onto such a trail.
Too many places where one wrong move, and someone or something could be tumbling down the ravine.
We came across many people today with dogs, and with the exception of one or two, they were all free-roaming dogs. 
Even while we were crossing paths some of these dogs, and amazingly some of these people, walked very close to the edge of the ravine.
Perhaps realizing, but more than likely not, that much of the dirt that was barely contained along the edges of the trail could give way at any moment..........

I am editing this blog to add this link. 
I had heard about the blueberry picker who fell at the falls last weekend, but did not realize that it was at the falls that I was writing about, and one of the places that I had enjoyed so much yesterday.
We brought sandwiches, cookies, water and coke with us on this hike, and stopped a couple of times along the side of the trail to eat and rehydrate.
We took our time, enjoyed the walk, took a lot of pictures, and successfully found a way to wind down from the ongoing stress and questions we have been facing so much recently.
I can't put into words how much we both needed that.
By the time we got home it was time for nap. 
And then bar-b-qued steak.
It was a good day.
A very very good day.............
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
John Muir......

No comments:

Post a Comment