Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Donut Crossings

I have walked around the tourist area of downtown Juneau a number of times this summer.
There are things that I see every trip, that I see for the first time.
Like Donut Crossing signs.
After a cool start to the morning, and after a meeting in town first thing, I walked out of the building when it was done and quickly realized that the day was going to be one more sunny and warm day.
I walked across to Marine Park, looked out as I always do when I am there, over at Douglas Island to see what the mountains were "doing" today.
How visible were they?  How was the sun shining on them? What did the fog or cloud cover look like? 
I also realized today that I have developed habits over these past months, while visiting and enjoying Marine Park.
I always look up at the tramway climbing non-stop at this time of year up and down Mt Roberts.
I always look over to the dock where the float planes load and unload their tourists non-stop each and every day of the summer.
I always count the cruise ships - five of them in port today.
I always look inside and around the large shelter at the park curious to see how many tourists or homeless people or skateboard types are there.
And I always wander the boardwalk, look at the colorful flags on display close to the shelter, enjoy the barrels filled with flowers that stand in a straight line in the lot close to the parking garage, look out over the water, look much further south down the channel and enjoy the mountain range in the distance, and see what the ravens and seagulls are doing.
Until today I did not realize that I do those things every time I visit this place.........
Patsy Ann has a long and beautiful history in this town.
This statue of her is located half way along the boardwalk.
You cannot tell from the picture but the top of this statue is brown while the remainder of her body is a well-worn green color.  She has a brown head because people who stop to enjoy this statue cannot help but pat and rub her head.........
 
This cruiseship was located in the center of the channel.
Cruise ship passengers reach the mainland by smaller boat.........
With five ships in port today I can only guess how many additional people were walking our streets. 
The population of Juneau more than doubled today.
Thankfully only for twelve hours........

With over 50,000 additional people in town I wondered when looking at this picture how I could manage to find such a quiet place, when it really should have been incredibly busy.
In reality, a block away and to my left were thousands of people walking up and down the street enjoying the now 50% off gift shops (I need to buy "Alaska stuff" on sale and put them away for Christmas presents).
Behind me were people just getting off small boats and standing patiently in line to get onto buses (heading for places as varied as whale watching cruises, Mendenhall Glacier, a tour of the town, and who knows where else...)
Also behind me was a busy Marine Park, a packed outdoor restaurant and more people lining up for float plane flights over the channel and glacier.
And finally, scattered all over town were thousands of people, mostly in couples with street map in hand, wandering and enjoying their visit to this very beautiful city........
 
And these guys, all bored with no-one to hawk to, tried to chat me up.
Do I look like a tourist?  Do I look like a Juneauite yet?  Did I look like a business person (dressed in trekking pants, a black shirt and the ever-present computer bag slung over my shoulder and across my body)?
Or were they just half-heartedly attempting-chatting because they were bored, and punchy and it is the end of the summer?.........
I cannot believe that I have never taken a picture of this cool sign before.........
A very small intimate restaurant located across the street from the cruise ships. 
It has a lovely small outdoor patio, and on this very sunny and very beautiful day there were a few young couples sitting cozily together enjoying each other and their time outside.
I have not eaten at this little place before, but I want to before they close for the season in a few weeks..........
Three of five cruiseships in port today, along with one of the small boats ferrying passengers back and forth to the ship that was anchored in the center of the channel..........
One more sign.  One more place that I need to check out before they close at the end of this tourist season. 
Only a couple more weeks...........

No comments:

Post a Comment