Friday, February 24, 2012

We're Off To See The Gizzard - Part 2

LC and James and I spent a long time beside the water before finally moving further down the trail.
LC and I had walked a portion of the trail a few years ago, heading in at a different trail head than we did yesterday, walking gnarly trail before finally crossing a bridge that spanned the stream, and then walking a short way beyond the bridge on welcome flat trail before heading back the way we had come.
Although the section of trail we were on in these pictures was all new to us we knew where we were and knew that we would hit the bridge in only a short while.
On the day that we walked the trail (3 years ago?  4?) it was in the middle of summer.
Wilting in the stifling heat and humidity we walked.  And with a great deal of satisfaction soon realized that the temperature was much cooler by the stream.
The coolness was evident in the crystal clear water, in the types of vegetation, in the vast amount of shade.
In the middle of sweltering summer in the middle of sweltering Tennessee we found coolness.............
While my Mountain Boy hung on to James I bushwhacked a number of times off trail and headed down to the stream to take pictures.
Standing along the stream bed taking pictures and listening to Jamie whine behind me because she wanted to follow me, I really felt like I was rediscovering this place again.
I had been to this place a handful of times to train both alone and with team-mates.
Had been here once with LC.
But yesterday I saw this beautiful place with new eyes and realized that it was treasure...............
During the early part of our walk the trail had been flat and fairly easy to walk.
After we took the wooden steps down to the stream and picked up another trail that paralleled the water, the trail quickly became much more technical.
Roots everywhere.
Large rocks everywhere.
Trail that narrowed with a sharp drop-off in many places.
We were not walking a long way, I wanted to take pictures, my old dog with her little legs had trouble climbing over some of the rocks, and so we really took our time.....................
And on a sunny day in February when the temperature was a ridiculous 72 degrees I took a lot of pictures of beautiful water................
My sweet trooper waiting for her momma to take pictures and frustrated because she couldn't follow me over rocks and down to the water............
A great picture.
They keep me grounded..................
Continual flowing stream and regular small waterfalls as we worked our way slowly down the trail..............
Looking down over one more waterfall while standing on the bridge............
I didn't really have to take pictures of the entire saying but I liked the sentiment so here it is...........
Views up and down the trail from the bridge............
I look at this picture, and all the pictures of my guy and my dog, and I smile.
Somehow it just seems right that I should think of a grizzled retired cop and a cast-off dog as family..............
The family is a haven in a heartless world..............Attributed to Christopher Lasch

No comments:

Post a Comment