Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lady Of The Falls - Part 2

I spent a long time slowly wandering along the edge of the stream, taking pictures both upstream and downstream, climbing natural stair steps that moved me closer to the falls, balancing precariously on rocks so that I could take a better picture from a better angle.
The back of my shirt was wet and so was the back of my long tights.
While running I had not noticed it but definitely noticed it now.
For a while the sun came out again and for a few minutes I stood on moss covered rocks enjoying the warmth.
That warmth did not last long though and I resolved to keep moving, even slowly, to try and stay warm.
I was enjoying my walk immensely and did not want to leave....................
One more home almost hidden in the trees, balancing on the side of a bluff overlooking the water..................
Pictures up and down stream as I moved closer to the falls..............
As it goes in this entire region of the country so it goes at Rutledge Falls.
There was rock everywhere.
Tall bluffs all around me made up of endless layers of rock.
Large flat rock steps along the shore that made travel close to the falls easy and enjoyable.
Huge rocks laying at all angles in the water and along the shore line that had obviously fallen from the bluffs eons ago.
Rocks that make up the base of each of the three sets of waterfalls that are Rutledge Falls.
Jagged and uneven rocks that fill the role of stairs leading back up and out of the gorge.
Rocks eroded.  Rocks covered in moss.
The face of one rock laying close to the falls filled with pockets eroded over a lifetime..............
Standing beside the falls the noise was deafening and I was completely surrounded by water.
Multiple small waterfalls were pouring into the stream as were the three major drop-offs that make up the falls proper.
All that water feeding quickly and unendingly into the stream meant that it was fast moving, cold, raging downstream towards Short Springs and beyond.
Balancing precariously on moss-covered rocks the force and energy of the water was palpable.
Again I stood for a long time on the rock, taking in everything around me.
Happy to be in this place, happy to be alone, still cold and eventually ready to go...............
Heading up the rock steps I stopped mid-way, again considering these two small caves with their obvious signs of human touch.
I may have solved the mystery of the bronze woman, but I still have not solved the mystery of the caves..............
One of my favorite pictures from today.............
Gnarly moss covered and uneven rock steps heading up and out of the gorge...........
And the beautiful bronze lady watching over my travels..................
On trail heading back towards the truck..............
Across the road from the small gravel parking lot is more private property.
When I looked out over beautiful green fields that also held large clumps of daffodils I smiled once again at this most definite sign of spring.
The entire area close to Rutledge Falls is very lovely.
Country roads.
Another stream close by.  Trees and fields.
Beautiful well-to-do homes, some of them historic.
Two side by side churches.
And of course a wonderful and very huge red barn....................
Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it.  Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.....................Mark Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment