Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rewards Of The Simple Life

LC, Jamie and I found fun and companionship and beautiful nature while exploring parts of Fiery Gizzard Trail a few days ago, on a beautiful Tennessee-winter day that was unfailingly sunny and clear. 
It was 72 degrees warm and after leaving the trails we drove country back roads, slowly meandering our way towards home.
There is no such thing as a straight country road in Tennessee.
And so we slowly drove non-stop winding two-lane, taking our time and still actively looking for reasons to be outside even though we were all beginning to get tired.
I had noticed this pond on the way to the trail and asked LC to pull the truck off the road on the way home, so that I could take pictures here.
Located in Tracy City in Grundy County and still up on the mountain, I took these pictures of the very small Hines Pond that is fed by the adjoining reservoir.................
This guy also caught my attention on the way to Fiery Gizzard and instantly reminded me of the too-short time we spent in Wyoming.
There were also other western inspired wild-life figures in the yard and I was curious to find out what this store was about.
The store is called Nature Works and is located on the highway between Tracy City and Monteagle.
My tired Mountain Boy and my tired sweet pup stayed in the truck while I wandered briefly around the grounds of the store taking pictures of wildlife statues.
I smiled as I looked them over and then photographed them, liking seeing them but also suddenly wistful and missing Wyoming.
Statues of eagle and buffalo and elk and bear and big horn sheep and wolf...................
After a few minutes I walked into the store, still curious to learn more about this place.
Truthfully my expectations were low.
Sewanee, Monteagle and Tracy City are all located in one section of the Cumberland Plateau, each town about 10 miles or so from the next.
Each town is progressively less affluent.
I have not visited Tracy City often in the past and when I have it has been to simply blow through it on the way to some natural area or other.
The other day I paid attention to the community.
A true mountain community.
People of simple and modest means. 
And many buildings that look as if they once were commercial buildings but which are now boarded up and closed.
In that context I was not certain what to expect when I walked through the front doors of the store and was very surprised by what I found.
It could have easily been a store located in Cody Wyoming and was filled with mountain and river and animal pictures (paintings and photographs and prints).
It also contained rustic decorations of every kind - lamps, figures, sculptures, antlers, clocks etc.
A lovely and quiet and sweet store located in the middle of nowhere and along the side of the road.
A link to the store including many pictures and a video:
Back down in the lowlands and the farm land of the valley below the plateau..............
After taking many pictures of hay bales and silos and farm land I had promised LC that we would not stop anymore on the way home.
Everyone was tired and it was time to get back to the house.
But on the way to Pelham I looked over to my left and saw green that was unlike anything else around it.
Almost fluorescent green.
I had no idea what it was that was growing but between the brilliant blue sky, the outstanding shade of green, and the blue-grey mountains in the background I sheepishly asked to stop one last time.
I climbed out of the truck and looked around me, loving everything that I was seeing.
It was quiet and it was beautiful and it was worthy of one more stop on a day that had ended up being much longer than either of us had expected when we headed out earlier in the day.................
To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter; to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life............John Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment