Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lady Of The Falls - Part 1

It was supposed to be at least partly sunny yesterday but the sun never broke through the clouds all day.
It was supposed to be at least partly sunny today, but by mid-morning the sky was still completely overcast with no signs of impending clearing, and as I walked out of the house and to my truck dressed in running clothes I immediately wondered if I should grab one more layer before heading for the base.
As I began the run I again wondered whether or not I should have brought another layer.
The temperature gauge outside my kitchen window had read 40 degrees when I left the house, but it felt colder than that.
A few miles into the run the sky began to clear and I found myself finally pulling my shell off and stashing it into the back of my pack, trying to rush in a purposeful but non-frantic way because I was making good time and wanted to see if I could hang onto it until the end.
It turned out to be a great run but I am still reminded of how much fitness I have lost over the past couple of years and also reminded of just how old a couple of years of older can really be.
My times are improving but I am still working too hard at it.
By the time I got back to my truck that was parked in the empty gravel parking lot at the mountain bike trail head, I was red faced and overheated and and sucking wind in that way that I wish I wasn't.
At some point during the run I looked up through the trees and realized that the sky was surprisingly and unexpectedly completely blue.
By the time my run was done it had begun to cloud over again and I reluctantly realized that sunshine was probably going to be little better than hit and miss all day.
I had planned on driving straight home after my run. but as I passed through the base and entered the city limits of Tullahoma decided that I would first stop at Rutledge Falls.
It was not on the way home but it was not far out of the way either, and I was excited at the prospect of seeing the falls after all of the rain we have had over the past month.
This is a link to a blog post the last time I stopped at Rutledge Falls in October:
I pulled into the parking area close to the falls, climbed out of the truck and was immediately freezing.
A water bladder that leaked around the cap and then down my back during the run when I momentarily crouched down to pull one of my quick draw shoe laces tighter, drying sweat, winding down from exertion, and the cool day added together meant that I was very cold.
As I headed through the gate and down the short trail, my visit to Rutledge Falls was supposed to be a quick one.
A list of rules for use of the trail and access to the falls found close to the entrance to the trail.
This area is actually private property but the owners allow and encourage the public to access this beautiful place.
As I again quickly read through the rules I was again reminded of how lucky the public is to be able to use and enjoy the trail and the stream and falls................
Walking further along the fence line I came to the entrance.
A large and wonderful grinding wheel and locked wide gates prevent wheeled traffic from entering, but there is an open place in the gate that allows foot traffic.
The sun was in and out, the sky was wholly blue and then partially blue and then completely overcast and then partially blue again.
It was a unsettled weather day and I was cold, but I was also very glad to be outside and heading towards what I knew was a magical place...................
A beautiful red barn in an adjoining field..................
I have begun to see them all over the area recently, and it is way way too early in the year to be seeing them.
Daffodils everywhere.
In many areas they are blooming and completely open and beautiful.
In many other areas they are still closed but flowers are impending.
This is the earliest I can ever remember seeing daffodils.
In years past I remember seeing daffodils in March and invariably they would soon freeze or be covered with snow, only to go into hiding for another few weeks.
With the strange too-warm winter we have had this year it is hard to know whether these guys are out for good or not but it is supposed to be 17 degrees overnight this weekend so we will see.
Part of me hopes that the budding trees and new spring flowers are here to stay because everything is very lovely when it is blooming and growing.
Another part of me greatly dislikes the bugs and heat and humidity that spring and summer bring, and misses snow, and hopes that winter will hang on for another (long) while...................
The home and outbuildings and grounds on the property.
The trail runs adjacent to the property and extends first to the top of the falls and then down into the gorge closer to the falls.
This place, as with Short Springs, are both very close to home................
The first trail is only a short one.
It is flat, travels from the gated entrance, cuts through the property and eventually works its way towards the top of the bluffs that overlook the falls.
The first thing you see when the trail opens up is her...................
Standing beside her I looked down into the falls.
As with Short Springs there is much more water now than there was only a few months ago and the crash of the falls was the only noise I could hear.
There was no wind, no bird or animal or people sounds.
It was a cold day in the middle of the week in the middle of winter and I had the entire place to myself.
I do look forward to the time when the trees will be filled with leaves.
The place was beautiful today and will be even more beautiful when it is full of green...................
A home high on a cliff on the opposite side of the stream and overlooking the falls.................
She is astonishingly beautiful.
Until recently I knew nothing about her.
I had no idea why she was there, how she came to be there, who cast her, who paid for her.
And then I found this:

Lyndon B. "Pop" Jennings saw a pile of statues in the area now known as the Ellington Agricultural Center, Nashville, TN. This large pile of statues apparently had been removed from the state capitol during renovations and were to be buried. Pop Jennings asked permission for one of the statues and after obtaining it, moved the statue to its present site above Rutledge Falls. It is said Pop Jennings alaways referred to this statue as "The Lady of the FaIls.

Much more on the history of this lady who is also known as Night:
After spending a lot of time taking pictures of the property leading up to the falls, and then taking pictures of the lady and the falls I spent a moment trying to decide what I wanted to do next.
I was cold but also wanted to make my way down closer to the falls.
I looked briefly at the uneven large rock steps that led down into the gorge (which was the way I had headed down the last time I was here), and then looked to my left and saw a trail.
I had forgotten about that trail.
When I saw it today I vaguely remembered it, had not walked on it in three years or more, and did not really remember where it led.
Pulling the zipper up higher on my jacket I excitedly resigned myself to just being cold.
I wanted to explore the trail.................
The trail started high up on the bluffs overlooking the fast moving stream, but eventually worked its way down towards the water.................
Moss.
Lots and lots of moss, covered with thin streams of water slowly running and dripping down from the rocks even higher up.................
One lone mushroom growing among the moss and dead leaves on a rock...............
Five minutes after leaving the Lady of the Falls I was standing beside the stream.
I smiled to myself and suddenly forgot that I was cold...................
Downstream there was only fast moving water.
Looking upstream I could see the falls and multiple rapids, and looking closer realized that there were also multiple large flat rocks that stair stepped their way towards the falls.
I smiled to myself in excitement, realizing that I would not have to back track up the trail.
Instead, I would be able to rock-step my way back towards the falls.
Good deal.
Very good deal................
Water, whether still or in motion, has so great an attraction for the lover of nature, that the most beautiful landscape seems scarcely complete without it................Montagu Pollock

No comments:

Post a Comment