Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cody Horse Auction

 This afternoon my Mountain Boy and I decided to check out a horse auction that was taking place in the blocked off side street in front of the Irma Hotel in down town Cody.
I had never been to a horse auction before so was looking forward to it.
I could talk professional jargon all day long in the field in which I worked for over half my life.
Similarly, I could happily and extensively debate the merits of different brands of technical rain jackets, mountain bikes, headlamps, kayak paddles, rappelling harnesses, compasses, trail running shoes and base layers.
But when folks toss words around like gelding and buckskin and palomino and paint and fox trotter and quarter horse and stallion I quickly find myself speechless and lost in unfamiliar territory.
So........as a total foreigner to the world of horses, horse auctions and cowboy jargon we went down to watch the action.
I took the picture above in the middle of the action and when we had been standing in the very warm sun for about an hour. 
There were many hundreds of people sitting and bidding in the bleachers, and many more hundreds standing on the outskirts of the action simply doing the same that thing LC and I were doing - watching and enjoying and visiting with one another.
In the middle of the excitement and in the middle of all the noise I noticed this dog.  
His owners were sitting in the bleachers and this beautiful black and white dog with the sweet eyes appeared to be just overwhelmed with everything that was going on around him.
He cowered underneath the bleachers trying to hide from all the commotion and as he tentatively looked out from his metal wanna-be shelter I snapped this picture..........

Believe it or not I have seen this crazy vehicle tooling around town.
One of a kind I am certain.  
Belonging to some "Look at me!  Look at me!" Do-Whacka-Do no doubt.
But there is something very artistic in its form.  
Something so Herman Munster in its feel.
That it just brings a smile to my face............
 Because the day was very warm and lovely LC parked the truck a few blocks away and we walked down towards the Irma.
As we got closer the first horse that we came across (with horse and trailer parked still a block away from the auction) was this wonderfully amazing animal.
A stallion - chestnut body, almost white mane and tail.  
He was gorgeous.
And a stallion indeed - as we approached he turned his back end to us and snorted and sniffed and aggressively bit at the trailer.
Spirited, spunky, frustrated, obviously wanting to be free of this place where he was tied and forced to be still.
I saw many beautiful animals today but this one was by far my favorite...........
Horse trailers parked on every street and in every direction.............
Pictures of the horses and cowboys and ranch owners and trailers and interested members of the community watching this unusual action in the center of the blocked off street...........
This man watched me for a few minutes while I was taking pictures of everything going on around me.
We smiled at each other and then I took his picture.........
Information posted about many of the horses that were up for auction...........
Flags flying above the Irma...........
A corral was set up and saw dust laid down so that owners could show off their horses while the auctioneer enticed the bidders to go higher.
The auctioneer was sitting at the table and the large man in the sunglasses standing in front of the corral was one of the bid-spotters.
Riders showed off their horses from all angles and demonstrated their horses ability to understand verbal and hand signals.
These horses were all healthy, strong and beautiful.
They were all different ages but each horse had been trained well.
Some were pleasure riding horses.
But most were working ranch horses so their ability to turn, stop, back up etc. was important.
I was surprised at the prices these horses sold for.  This one sold for only $1700.
The most expensive horse we saw during the 90 minutes we watched was a little over $6000 (although the more expensive horses were scheduled to be sold later).
I would have happily paid $1700 for this horse............ 
The little girl riding this horse was only about 8 years old and looked like she had been riding for longer than she had been walking.
She was very comfortable on this horse and controlled it perfectly.
She knew exactly what she was doing.
A beautiful little girl complete with spurs and pink cowboy boots............
I think her horse sold for $1400..............
LC and I were both surprised to see this horse also sell for $1400.
I would take it in a heart beat for that price.............
I like this picture...........
Two of a handful of Cody Stampede Princesses at the auction.
They happily obliged my request by posing for a picture.........
If the pissy stallion that we first saw was my favorite horse, this stocky, well muscled and strong horse was my second favorite.
He quietly followed me as I wandered around the back side of the street taking pictures of people and horses.
A seemingly gentle and strong creature...........
A handful of little cowboys...........
LC and I had a really nice time enjoying this new type of adventure.
After a long while of watching we walked down Sheridan Avenue which is the main street in town, and headed back towards the truck.
All the stores had American flags flying in front of their stores.
As we were heading TO the event we heard a woman singing the national anthem prior to the auction.
There are many retired military in Cody.  And many retired law enforcement officers.
It is a very conservative town in a very conservative state............
A cowboy inspired bench located outside one of the stores on the main strip........
In Juneau they had over sized stuffed bears and eagles.
In Cody Wyoming they have over sized statues of cowboys.
Let the tourist craziness begin...........
The old post office building..........
After seeing so many handsome, strong, well muscled and beautiful horses at auction we drove home and I took this picture of the little guy.
He is over a week old now, stays close to momma but explores for short periods of time away from her.
An adorable, sweet, gentle, spunky little foal who is changing (as do all baby mammals) daily...........

No comments:

Post a Comment