Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sitka - Part 9

My legs are sore - quads, hamstrings, calves.
My hip flexors are sore.
It has been many months since I climbed as much as I did yesterday, and although I am still in decent enough shape it's been a long while since I climbed.
And today my entire lower body is whining about what I have done to it.
Truthfully I like the feeling.
I have spent a lifetime doing judo and karate, road running and trail running and hiking, road biking and mountain biking, weight lifting and swimming and kayaking..
And a slew of other physical things in between.those primary activities over the years.
So sore muscles used to be a constant companion, and when I woke up this morning to sore legs and sore hips it was like waking up with an old and familiar friend.
It hurt.  But it felt very very good.
Today was my last full day in Sitka, and I woke up not really sure how I should spend it.
There were stores and museums big and small that I had not seen.  But truthfully my interest in both of those activities is limited.
I decided to go to the Russian cemetery that I had planned on visiting yesterday before I got happily sideswiped by the prospect of walking on trails.
As I was heading in that direction on a surprisingly mild and surprisingly sunny day I came across this place. 
Here's what it says about the place in my little tourist book:
Geodetic Survey House - known locally as the "White House" this building was constructed in 1916 on the site of a former Russian tea garden, as office and quarters for scientists who maintained a nearly permanent geomagnetic observatory.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this building is currently managed by the Sitka Ranger District of the USDA Forest Service............
Immediately to the right of the White House lies a totem pole.
I took pictures of both the entire totem, as well as a couple of individual pieces of it.
It was old and worn and I do not know a lot about these things but think it may have been authentic, and not a reproduction.
From the top of the hill beside the house you can look out over both the town and the water...........
After visiting the White House briefly and really enjoying the totem pole up close, I moved on to the Russian cemetery only a few blocks away.
This cemetery is very similar in appearance to many cemeteries that I have seen in Juneau.
Filled with moss, uneven stones that have shifted under water-logged earth.
The cemetery was located in a lovely wooded area, with narrow gravel trails leading from one section to the next.
I spent only a short while here but enjoyed my visit............
One of the things that really stood out for me was that all of the statues on top of the monuments and stones were headless.
I don't know if that was by design or by vandalism.
But I did not see one of these figures that had a head in place and in tact.............
St Micheal's Cathedral is one of those central places in Sitka much like the Pioneer Home is. 
They both stand out, and both make for easy landmarks when giving or receiving directions.
I am sorry that I did not visit this place on Sunday when it is open for services.
It is open all the time during the summer and during typical tourist season, but not at this quiet time of year.
It sits directly in the middle of the road, with two way traffic veering around it.
At least from the outside, and I am sure also from the inside, it is a very beautiful place.............
Working my way through town I walked across the bridge on what was turning out to be a very beautiful Wednesday in Sitka Alaska.
Views from the bridge as I took my time enjoying the sunshine and warmth.
By this time I had taken off my jacket and wrapped it around my hips - me in military fatigues, black turtle neck, bright red sweater, dead-sexy insulated boots, hat and gloves, totally enjoying this day..............
This very beautiful mountain on this very beautiful day............
Once I arrived on Japonski Island I walked past the boat harbor and UAS, and continued on until I arrived at the Coast Guard barracks, Coast Guard base and the airport.
I tried to take another picture of an Alaskan Airlines commercial jet taking off but got impatient, and by the time it was rolling and then in the air I was out of decent camera range.
I did take this picture while I was out there though.
I took it through a fence, and taking pictures at airports through fences does not seem like a wise thing to spend a great deal of time doing in these uncertain times, so I did not spend a lot of time there..............
By the time I arrived back at the marina and boat harbor close to the bridge I had decided that this was turning into a very warm and very beautiful day, and that I wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon wandering the harbor close to the fish plants.
Of the three harbors that I have seen while in Sitka this was the most interesting one to me.
Many large, hard working, worn and weathered boats that I wanted to take pictures of before I leave Sitka.
I did stop for one moment at THIS harbor though.
Not because of a boat, but rather because of a bird.
He was resting comfortably on top of one of the poles in the sunshine, and at first I assumed that he was an eagle or seagull.
As I got closer to him I realized that he was something else.
What that something else is I have no idea.  Since moving to Alaska I have learned just how much I don't know about nature.
Regardless, I liked him and stood watching him for a few minutes, before taking his picture................
My Sitka mountain again.............
I took pictures of this small Japanese monument a few days ago, but since that time a large plaque has been erected that provides some context and background as to why this monument is here.
Here is another link to the information on the board in case it is not readable:
The town of Sitka on the way back over the bridge...........
And a view from the bridge...........
Once back in Sitka I headed down towards the fish factories (I'm starting to find my way around pretty well) and came across the structure.
I actually came across it on my first day, but did not notice that all of the bricks of the structure are either in memory to mariners who have died at sea, or the names of sponsors who helped to finance the little covered building.
I did not notice it the first day because that is where Cujo was tied up...............
Another example of colorful art work found so often on the outside of buildings in SE Alaska............
The sign on the door of this eclectic and interesting building told me that the owners will not be opening their doors again for business until the Sitka Music Festival in June.............
Visually I have always loved rows upon rows of traps.
They please me in some kind of weird-creative-artistic-something way............

Taken at the boat harbor............

2 comments:

  1. Nice sunny day in Sitka Alaska...!

    The "Sitka Ranger" is a Forest Service vessel...

    Zoom you picture (twice)...those names are all local mariners lost at sea..

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always...thanks for taking me with you on your daily walk about in Sitka!! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete