Friday, December 24, 2010

On The Way Home

On the way home from work yesterday afternoon I stopped briefly at Twin Lakes Park, just a few miles from the center of downtown Juneau heading towards the Valley, and immediately off Egan Drive.
During other times of the year these lakes are a place for locals to congregate to fish, to swim, to sunbathe (yes, it does actually get sunny enough and warm enough.....occasionally.....to sunbathe in Alaska), and for caregivers to take their young children to the creative playground that is also located in this place.
During the winter though, Twin Lakes takes on a completely new, different, but equally exciting role for the locals.
When the water freezes, multiple paths and rinks are cleared on the ice, and it becomes a place to skate recreationally and to play pick-up games of hockey.
Yesterday afternoon, with it being both sunny and slightly warmer, and with the kids all off school for winter break, the ice was filled with people of all ages.
As I pulled into the parking lot I smiled when I saw bundled toddlers sitting on the tailgates of trucks while their parents helped to put on tiny skates.
As I walked closer to the lake I saw four or five separate hockey rinks on the ice that had been cleared.
Nets had been set up on both ends of the rinks and kids of all ages (from early grade school all the way through to high school age) were playing hockey.
And there were a number of adults casually skating on both large cleared areas and along the entire outer perimeter of the lakes that had also been cleared.
A very large skating circle around the outside of the whole lake.
Too cool.  And I want to go there with skates I have - a gift from the lady I stayed with for a few weeks when I first moved up to Juneau. 
She was getting ready to move to Anchorage and did not want to take them with her, and happily we both wore the same size shoes (and as it turns out, skates)............
A dock covered in snow and ice in the middle of winter, that was filled with fishermen during the summer...........
One of the pathways cleared of snow, that allows skaters to cover the entire outer circumference of the lakes.....
One small part of a beautifully creative play park close-by.
I took pictures at the play park a number of times over the summer, including much of the art work that decorates the park.
I am very pleased to see that this nice and relaxing urban park is used and enjoyed so much and during all seasons..........
A vehicle driving by on the very busy Egan Drive in the background...........
I had to smile when I watched this person.
Someone who skates pretty much with the same skill I have.
Able to stay upright for the most part, but very wobbly and unsure..........
There were people of all ages sitting everywhere - on chairs set up on the ice, on the side of the boat dock, on benches and on the rocks beside the ice.
All in various stages of gearing up or gearing down from their skating adventures..........
After leaving Twin Lakes and blowing through the Valley, I decided to stop for a few minutes close to the ferry terminal in Auke Bay before heading for the house.
The day was cold, but was not freezing as it has been for a week.  Maybe more than a week.
The sun was shining weakly, the sky was still hanging onto blue sky even though snow was expected for the next few days.
The weather was going to change but for now, at that moment, there was still only weak blue sky.
The weather was moderating, and I had to be outside for a few more minutes.
I ended up going out to Eagle Beach with LC and Jamie after I got home but did not know that at the time, so did indeed stop at the water again before continuing on............
I have stopped at this dock many many times over the past 11 months.
The mountains are beautiful.
Ferries come and go often, though not as often in the winter, and I never get tired of watching them.
And usually there are interesting large and hard working boats close-by............
After taking some pictures from the edge of the water I walked down the long ramp...........
I have never seen a whale watching boat docked here before, so was surprised to see this one at the end of the ramp.
There are no whale watching cruises running at this time of year, and as with the rest of the area I did not see anyone walking or working during my stop............
From the ramp I looked over and took this picture of a series of condominiums in the cove close to the ferry terminal.
I stayed in one of these condos with an outgoing colleague for three weeks before moving into an extended stay hotel right after I moved to Juneau.
The mountain and cove and ferry views from the balcony of the condo she was renting was stunning.
Expensive, but stunning, and I know that she was paying for the wonderful view.
I loved the view, and knew fairly early on in my stay that Out the Road was where I eventually wanted to live.
But I truly hated being in that condo at the time.
I remember laying in a strangers' strange bed in a strange home in a strange town thinking that I missed my home, and my guy, and my dog, and my son, and my furniture and my.......stuff.........my own stuff.....all of which was 4000 miles away.
Tough time.  Now almost a year removed...........
While standing at the very end of the ramp looking out over this very familiar and loved view, I realized that a ferry was coming in.  Making its last pass and making its way to the terminal.
I watched it, enjoying the rhythm of it and the sight of it, until it was half way into the cove..........
I hope that everyone who reads this blog has a very wonderful Christmas tomorrow, filled with love and friends and family...........

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and LC! Jaime too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely pictures. Enjoyed the journaling also. Hope to see Alaska one day myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete