Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sitka - The End


By the time I arrived at the boat ramp the afternoon was turning even warmer, sunnier and more beautiful than the morning had been.
I spent a lot of time at this harbor, as I do at most harbors.
There is a rhythm to these places that was not familiar to me while I lived in land-locked Tennessee, but has certainly become familiar to me since I moved to Alaska.
I can very easily (and have) spent hours walking and listening and picture taking.
I love everything about Alaskan harbors.
I love the water.  The mountains.  The sky and the birds.  The whales and seals and sea lions.  The different sizes and shapes and ages and conditions and intentions of each boat.
The people who own them - professional fishermen, weekend fishermen, those who love to just be out on the water, young men, old men, families members of all ages.
They are beautiful places.
Easy to photograph.
Easy to love............
OK I have my answer now.
He is not some distant cousin.
That HAS to be the same actual sea lion that taunted and frustrated me all this past summer, as I chased him from beach to beach for months up in Juneau trying to get a decent picture of him.
He followed me all the way from Juneau just so he could taunt me some more down here in Sitka.
There is no other explanation......
As I got closer to this boat, this same boat as the other day, I heard that familiar loud breathing noise, looked over and saw my big sea lion pop up right in front of it heading further into the harbor. 
Within a second he was gone again. 
Immediately he popped up and immediately was gone again.
I dropped my gloves and purse on the pier where I stood, realized that this was his home, was sure he was going to show up again any second, and I was ready for him this time.
I stood there waiting for him and was prepared to wait as long as it took.
20 minutes later I knew he had outsmarted me yet again.
I walked away without my picture.
Damned sea lion.............
I must have spent well over an hour at the harbor, just wandering, cursing the sea lion, enjoying this very beautiful day.
When I finally did leave I walked down a pathway towards the road and spent a few minutes watching a man and his two dogs play ball and fetch at a fenced in dog park.
And right beside the dog park was a skate park.
I watched a lone kid, maybe 11 or 12 on his scooter doing all kinds of insane things on the ramps, and when he stopped and realized that I was watching him, I asked if he minded if I took his picture.
The young man, with the smiling and wide-open face gladly showed off his skills for me, and was pleased when I showed him the pictures I took............

I surprisingly found a McDonalds and this flag was located near some benches behind the restaurant..........
And so was this scene..........
I wandered around for another half hour or so before heading back into town to stop at a store and buy some Sitka-things that were on sale.
These sunset pictures were taken at about 3:45pm........
I am heading back to Juneau tomorrow afternoon.
I am hoping that my car, which I parked in 15 minute parking on Thanksgiving morning because there were no other spots available (and which I was assured by Ferry Terminal Guy would be OK for the week) has not been towed.
I am also hoping that it starts.  I just bought a brand new overpriced battery so I sure hope it does, but I know that it has been cold up there.
I came down to Sitka in not-so-great emotional shape.
I was pretty run down physically as well.
I looked at myself in the mirror tonight and I look better.  Healthier.  More rested.  Lost a couple of pounds which is always good.....
LC and I have spent a lot of time talking over the past few days.
It took 4000 miles of physical distance between us to close the emotional distance between us.
It may be working itself out.
We'll see.
I had a really really nice visit to a very beautiful, friendly, welcoming small Alaskan town.
Good deal...............

No comments:

Post a Comment