Saturday, November 13, 2010

Strength To Body And Soul

Jamie and I went for a walk at Montana Creek this morning.
Montana Creek for some unknown reason is one of those places that is used and enjoyed extensively by residents of Juneau, but is also one of those places that has been off my radar.
It is located close to a residential area, close to West Glacier Trail and Skaters Cabin, and close to the gun and archery ranges.
I explored a small part of it about a month ago, Jamie and I walking the road and then unexpectedly finding Montana Creek while LC was sighting in a new firearm purchase at the range.
I was delighted at my unexpected find, and because we did not see much of it that day, I resolved to visit it again soon to see what was there.
Just as we set out it started to rain lightly, the sky looked ominous, and I almost immediately regretted only wearing a short rain jacket instead of my longer and heavier one.  My short rain jacket (a tech jacket that I paid $50 for instead of $100 because it is "monkey puke green") is an old favorite - a jacket that has served me well, and that I have worn during many wet sections of many wet adventure races over the years.
It is no longer as waterproof as I would like but thankfully the rain during our walk did not fall as heavily as it has for so many many weeks while we were out, so life was good in seemingly-never-ending-grey-days Juneau.........
Jamie standing on the bridge by the parking lot, imploring momma to hurry the heck up..........
Views in both directions from the bridge, of the raging Montana Creek.........
I had not, as I usually do, done any research on Montana Creek Trails before walking there.
I had walked a short part of it during my last visit so knew that at least some of it was wide open and completely non-technical gravel road - very easy walking.
I did not know how long the trail was, whether it was an out-and-back or a loop, whether or not it fed into other trails - but because it is so widely used by the locals I did not think that I had anything to be concerned about either in terms of getting lost or having to tackle challenging terrain
Truthfully I have neither the heart nor the stomach to confront epic outdoor challenges right now.
Rather, a little quiet walk on a nice user-friendly trail suits me just fine right now..........
By the time we had walked only a short way it was very obvious that the theme of this walk would be water.
It was everywhere.
The trail paralleled the full and raging creek.
Fast flowing run-offs from the mountains that fed into the creek were constant.
Water filled in low lying areas on both sides of the trail, forming numerous large and boggy ponds.
And the drainage ditches on both sides of the trail were filled with running water, making them look like small rivers running the length of the trail, that also eventually fed into the creek.
Water everywhere.  And with the constant rain that we have had since September everything that has not died back for the season is completely lush and green and almost spring-like in its energy.
Moss and ferns and pine trees - so much of all of them...........
As I continued with my easy and introspective walk, watching Jamie do her Jamie things while she also explored this new place, I started to think about how good it felt to be doing what I was doing at that very moment.
Which prompted me to think about a short walk I had taken with LC the first time I took him up to Eaglecrest over on Douglas to show him where the ski resort was.
And to share with him the mountains that were there.
It was in the middle of the summer and of course the place was closed for the off-season.
We started to wander and eventually started to walk up the first incline adjacent to one of the ski lifts.  We had not planned on walking so I did not think that we would be going very far, but at the time I was hoping to show LC  what I knew was at the top of that first climb.
At the top of that first climb is a sweeping view of wide open spaces and mountains that go on forever.
I knew that because I had been there over the winter.  No just looking at the mountains but actually being WITH the mountains on a long and extended hike in the snow.
After a few minutes of walking and climbing, and part way up LC asked me why we were walking.  And what the end game was.
End game???
It was a totally unexpected question at the time - one that I was not prepared for - and I think I ended up mumbling something about turning back whenever he was ready.
So today I was thinking about the end game.  Up there at Eaglecrest.
And if he were here now I would tell him that what we were doing, at least what I was doing, at that very moment  walking free in the mountains WAS the end game.
The simple joy of being.
No ulterior motives.  No hidden agendas.  No goals. 
Just the joy of being at that particular wonderful place at that particular wonderful moment and being able to feel a part of that place...............

I spent six years adventure racing, and have raced in state parks, national forests and conservations areas all over the right half of the country.
And I have been in many lovely hotels and resorts and campgrounds that were used as race Head Quarters.
When I was training there were only goals - more mileage,  more speed, more reps.
When I was racing there were only goals - find the next check point, make the next cutoff, get to the finish line before Team X, bust your ass and don't let your team-mates down.
When I stayed in those lovely hotels and resorts and campgrounds it was all about gear inspections, race briefings, map plotting, race strategizing, pack packing and trying to catch a couple of hours of sleep before starting a race.
I don't regret doing any of that.  I loved it at the time.  Absolutely relished the continued goals and challenges both on and off the race course. 
But I am in a different place now and being outside (and seeing and being) is the only agenda.............
Because I was taking my time today I patiently waited for Jamie whenever she wanted to stop and sniff (which was often) and she waited patiently whenever I wanted to stop to take a picture (which was also often).
I am definitely a point-and-shoot photographer.  No finesse or looking for perfect angles but I do stop often.
While she and I were meandering on the way out we were passed by a lady also walking her dog, and a guy on a mountain bike.
About 15 minutes after they passed us, they both came walking and riding back the way they had come, so I made the assumption that the trail was short and dead-ended not too far up ahead.
Surprisingly, when I arrived at the end of the open gravel trail I saw a more technical and narrow trail off to the left.
COOL!  An actual trail, trail!
James and I had a commitment at 1pm so we did not have a whole lot of time to go too far, but I figured we would check out part of it before turning back - again just to see what was there.
No heart or stomach for epic, but the die-hard adventurer in me was still excited to find this unexpected "real trail"........
Lots of remnants of dormant Devil's Club.
Gone are the bright green and over sized leaves, and bright red berry-flowers in the center.
Now they are simply ugly spiny thorny ugly brown stalks................
After being on this trail for about 20 minutes James and I finally stopped for a few minutes at this bridge before turning around and heading back.
The trail continues on the opposite side of the bridge and I'll walk it again soon.
We did not pass anyone on this trail so me and my dog had the place to ourselves.
I loved it and she loved it..............
Views both up and down river from the bridge.........
After we got back to the car I drove to a small Mom and Pop restaurant, because I had not eaten a hot meal since last Sunday. 
Woman cannot live by cereal and sandwiches alone. 
Sometimes woman needs a burger.............

Before heading home I took Jamie over to a colleagues house so she could meet their family dog.
It was a test run to see how these two spoiled members of respective families would get along, and by all appearances they got along just fine.
I am heading to Sitka in a couple of weeks.  Someone at work asked me what was in Sitka. 
My response was that I didn't know, and that was the point.
I want to take a ferry, get out of Juneau, visit a new Alaskan town, regroup and rejuvenate, and just ..........be.
And I think Jamie will be well cared for while I am gone.

Son #2 called.  Fine.  Well.  Happy.  Starting school in January.  In lust with a young French Canadian girl.  Good deal...........
Everybody needs beauty...places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul alike......John Muir

1 comment: