Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Idaho Falls Greenway - Part 2

It was only 500 yards (less than a third of a mile) from where we had parked our truck to where the falls were, but our trip had been a very nice and also very slow trip.
Kory had wanted to stop frequently so that she could investigate all the new smells she was finding in this new place.
LC and I had stopped frequently - to look, to watch, to read, to snap pictures, to enjoy each others' company.
On a calm and warm weekend day (and after rushing to Idaho Falls in time to meet someone and buy a camper brake system) this was (unbeknownst to us at the outset) exactly what we had all needed.
After snapping a few pictures of some geese along the shore, I looked further down the paved trail, curious as to whether or not I could see the falls yet.
I could hear them, and knew that we were close.  
And finally I could see the straight line extending into the river and knew that we had found them.............
After the silent, vast, isolation of the desert, the sight and sound of this waterfall was beyond awesome.
LC and Kory were dawdling behind me - or maybe I had just unconsciously picked up the pace of my walking - I didn't know, but either way I stood alone for a few moments looking out over the rushing water.
A nice place.
A nice place in the center of the city.
A civilized, manicured, organized, pedestrian friendly place that was not the wild places of the north.
But it was nice and I was pleased to be here...............
A picture of a totally random guy that I impulsively photographed as I moved from one lookout point to another.......................
One of my favorite pictures from the trip.............
One more lovely, creative park bench..............
And my favorite of all of the creative outdoor seating that we saw on this day...............
If we had continued walking further towards the water tower we would have been able to cross over a bridge, pick up the green way on the opposite side of the Snake River, and walk the paved trail back in the direction we came.
We could have but we didn't.
We were moving too slowly.  We had to assume that there was a bridge at the end of the trail that we could cross over to get back to the Tahoe.
But you know what they say about assuming......
We turned and began to slowly walk back the way we had come.  Heading back towards the parking lot, but moving as slowly as we had towards the falls.  
Readying to go, but not quite READY to go............
The same little squirrel playing peek-a-boo with me on the way back, instead of trying to stare me down as he had done the first time I ran into him..............
I snapped this picture because I knew that I would never remember the name of this place.
To me it will always be the Idaho Falls Greenway.............
By the time we arrived back at the parking area Kory was ready to cool off.
I used to have to drag Jamie into the water.  
This Florida dog willingly and eagerly hit the water..............
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
Calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting –
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things..........Mary Oliver 

No comments:

Post a Comment