Monday, January 23, 2012

Short Springs Adventure - Part 1

At 5am a few mornings ago Jamie (who usually sleeps at the end of the bed) woke LC and I up when she moved up to the head of the bed and promptly plopped down sideways in between us.
With her head on LC's hip and her butt pushed up against my shoulder I could feel her shaking violently.
Thunder was crashing outside and our pup was terrified and inconsolable.
The storm lasted for about 20 minutes but by that time we were up, and LC and I were drinking coffee while Jamie was sleeping happily on the couch in the living room.
The weather forecast called for a string of thunderstorms overnight last night, and by the time we went to bed there were tornado watches throughout Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
At 3am James again woke us up as she responded in fear to the thunder outside.
Thankfully it did not last long and when the storm had passed I kissed my dog on the forehead, talked reassuringly to her as I petted her, and then unceremoniously kicked her back down to the end of the bed.
It was a short lived storm here, but there were two deaths and many injuries down in Alabama overnight because of the storms and I keep shaking my head wondering why we are receiving such things when the calendar tells me that it is supposed to be Winter...............

With so much rain over the past few weeks this morning I drove to Short Springs Natural Area which is located close to the house, eager to see Machine Falls.
I expected the falls to be raging at this time of year and I hoped to find the trail that overlooks the falls so that I could take pictures of them.
Since arriving back in Tennessee I have been out to Short Springs twice.
Once I walked trail that led down to the falls.
The second time I ended up unexpectedly moving away from the falls and onto long and winding dirt and leaf filled trails.
Although I greatly enjoyed the hike I was never-the-less disappointed that I did not have a chance to see the falls.
Today I hit the trail entrance and wandered to the right for the first time, curious to see where I would end up.
I hiked and trail ran at Short Springs only a few times before leaving for Alaska and still do not know this area well, and today was the first time I had wandered in that direction.
A whole new adventure.
The huge water tower located across the road from the small gravel parking lot where I left my truck................
After the storms of last night the weather this morning was unsettled.
Mild.  Too mild and disappointingly mild for this time of year.
Cloud and sun battled with each other for control of the sky and as I continued walking on trail I wondered which one would eventually win out.
About half a mile into my hike the trail turned sharply to the left and then equally sharply began to drop down into a gorge.
As I continued down the trail I could hear rushing water and as I found myself at the bottom of the gorge realized that I had unexpectedly found a fast flowing creek............
I stood for a moment beside the creek, surprised and delighted at my find. 
After taking pictures of the creek in both directions I looked across the creek and realized that the trail continued on the opposite side.
Digging a water bottle out of the back of my pack I stood looking at the trail and water in front of me and then looking around me, considering my options.
Walking along the right side of the creek a short way I realized that there were no obvious shallow places to cross.  OK - strike that option.
Walking back to the trail again I considered walking straight across in shoes and socks.  My feet would get wet but it was not cold outside and they were just wet feet.
I looked more closely at the raging creek in front of me and could see the gravel on the bottom for the first half of the crossing, but could not see the bottom for the last half.
Another option was to head back the way I had come and pick up another trail.  I quickly discounted that option.
The other option was too...........yeah..........that's what I would do.
I pulled shoes and socks off, rolled my pants half way up my thighs and headed across.
Rocks on the creek bottom were tough on the feet but after a minute of wobbly and careful crossing I happily found my way onto the trail on the opposite side.
Smiling to myself in satisfaction I sat down, took a picture of my bare feet and socks and shoes, wiped my feet off with the tops of my socks, got dressed again and continued further on the trail.
The ugly bare feet picture did not make it on to this blog..................
Pictures of the creek before continuing on............
I love this picture.
Very tall and dark bare trees against the backdrop of a variable sky.
It was warm and the blue sky was beginning to beat back the grey sky left over from the overnight storms............
I was on a trail that paralleled the creek and as I continued hiking I often bushwhacked down to the water to take pictures.
I was wearing two layers on top and by this point was warm enough to begin thinking about losing one of the layers.
But when I started bushwhacking I decided to continue wearing both of them for a little while longer.
Even though it is Winter and there is no real growth in the woods at this time of year I still found myself often getting caught up in thorny brier bushes and the clothing provided protection.
In another few months I will not be able to bushwhack at all without getting seriously torn up.
This time of year was my one chance to wander off trail and through the woods closer to the water.............
One of many streams running down from the hills that surrounded me, that crossed the trail and fed directly into the creek.
I was having a really wonderful and quiet and exciting hike, and again was thankful to have this place so close to the house............
Another half mile and I unexpectedly came to this sign containing an arrow pointing the way to a connector trail.
Again I reached for my water bottle and stood looking at the sign and then the trail I had been on, trying to decide which way I wanted to go.
The connector trail went downhill towards the water and I decided to head down there to at least take more pictures of the water.............
As I headed down trail I found this unexpected and sweet little bridge spanning the creek, and looked beyond the bridge and saw a long and winding trail leading smartly uphill............
Pictures taken while standing on the bridge............
While still standing on the bridge I again considered my options and finally decided that I wanted to stay on the trail I had started on.
Even though the trail across the bridge was all new territory to me so was the trail I had been on.
I decided to stick with the trail I had begun this journey on, curious to learn where it led and eager to know what else I would find.
I walked off the bridge and began the trek back uphill...........
Stopping for a moment as I trekked back up the hill to pick up my trail, I looked up at the sky and saw a long white jet stream playing out against the white and blue sky.
The trees around me were huge - probably 30 feet or more.
Ancient tall thin bare trees.................
As I walked further I could hear the sound of the water getting louder, and then louder still.
It sounded as though it was crashing and roaring and moving very fast.
I had no idea where I was.
Had never been on these trails before but knew the area well enough to know that Short Springs is a fairly contained area and that eventually all the trails hook up with each other.
I found a small and completely leaf covered and underutilized trail to my left and took it, wanting to find the source of the noise.
I was following the sound of the water.
Growth on the side of a long-downed tree on the side of the trail.............
The trail worked its way down hill and quickly opened up.
I stood along the shore and took in the scene in front of me and around me and smiled in barely contained excitement.
I had found my way to the very top of the falls.
Directly in front of me...............
And directly to my right.................
When I first arrived down at the bottom of the trail I found myself standing along the shore right up against the top of the falls.
After absorbing that fact and taking a few quick pictures, I slowly and carefully began to wander along the shore that paralleled the water until it dropped in a waterfall down into the ravine far below.
The shore then curved around to the right with nothing but air and drop off to my left.
I had never been to the top of a waterfall before.
Had never seen water rush over a cliff into nothingness, and it was incredibly beautiful and powerful and exciting.
I was excited and pleased and as I stood close to the shore and close to the nothingness stretching as far as I safely dared in attempts to look down below I thought of LC.
He would remind me to be careful.  Remind me that dirt and rock along the edges of the cliffs could give way at any moment.
OK.  OK.  I hear you LC.  I'll be careful. 
And so went the conversation in my head.
The waterfall fed creek continuing its raging journey far below me...................
One section of the waterfall............
One of many rock faces across the gorge from where I was standing................
A cave below the rock face across the gorge from me.
I did not know at the time I took this picture that later in my hike I would find a trail that leads down close to this cave and the rock face in the picture above................
In the world of grey and brown that is Tennessee in the Winter, this lush and bright green moss was growing on the ground in all directions close to the waterfall..............
This small stream running down from the hills dropped quickly in a smaller version of the waterfall.
Dropped down between two rocks and quickly fed into the creek far below..............
One last picture of the raging creek crashing over the break of the falls.................

No comments:

Post a Comment